Speaking of another coaching-parent-DD drama trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
So, I have this guy I've known in the coaching circles for a couple of years, his daughter needed a team, I needed an assistant coach and a shortstop and it seemed to be a match made in heaven. The kid is a good athlete, but man, this thing has turned into a drama I wish I would have avoided. We are a 2nd year 12U team that contends every week in tournaments...

He told me the other day that he couldn't come to practice because of work, and when I asked if we could find his daughter a ride. He responded, "I don't like her going to practice without me being there." I said WTF????...to myself of course. I didn't understand that at all, they came to the team knowing I am an experienced coach with a very talented team...

I talked to a seasoned parent with two girls that will get D1 scholarships in the next couple of years. Her response to me was, these are the kids who wash out of the sport because of their parents.

Does this happen in Iowa?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He may very well, have good reason not to let his kids ride with someone else. Let it go.

I always drove, when possible, and did let the kids go with trusted adults, but you just never know.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Just gotta ask, did they pay the same ammount as everyone else? IMHO if the parents have their bill paid, I really don't care if the kid comes to practice or not (just give me a call to let me know because I might need to change my schedule). See if they don't practice, they don't play.... too easy. Now if it's 1 or 2 times and the kid is normally at everything else of course I let it slide. Now with that being said I really never had a problem with attendance.

Need context if this is a one time thing I would not make a big deal about it, only if it becomes a habit. I have girls that sleep over at other girls houses on a night that they know they have practice in the morning and a parent can't take them, I have others that text half an hour before no excuse just hey not gong to be there (but this is rec)....my point being there will always be different levels of commitment and you have to figure out what is acceptable for you and what is not. Actually had one of my AC show up without kid for an optional practice she has never missed anything in two seasons her dad said she just said "Dad can I not go" to which he asked is everything OK she said she just want one break to go do something with friends...I never thought twice about again it was a one time thing not a habit.

Feb 3, 2011
The dad was direct and honest, even though what he said may have stung a little. As a coach, I'd much rather hear that than a bunch of hemming, hawing, and excuse-making.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Great comments, and you folks are right, I have to pick my battles, every time I tell this girl something...grounders, throwing, decision making, etc... she always looks over at her dad first before she does it or doesn't do it. I have 10 other kids who are 100% dedicated and coachable and I try not to let her attidudes and comments cross polinate but I am not always successful.

His is a standing rule, he will not let his daughter on the field without him being there...

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Great comments, and you folks are right, I have to pick my battles, every time I tell this girl something...grounders, throwing, decision making, etc... she always looks over at her dad first before she does it or doesn't do it. I have 10 other kids who are 100% dedicated and coachable and I try not to let her attidudes and comments cross polinate but I am not always successful.

His is a standing rule, he will not let his daughter on the field without him being there...

Is there a Medical reason? If not then thats just weird.... At some point he will have to let go of her

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Not a medical reason, she is his "baby girl" and he feels he has to protect her...

May 13, 2012
Saw one of these dad/dd combos at 10U. very good pitcher, dad calls pitchs wether coaching or not. Girl would only listen to Dad. Saw here in a middle school game the other day as an 8th grader. Speed was just like I saw at 10u. Really quite sad. Here is a girl who showed potential but since dad controlled everything and trusted no one she has never progressed beyond him and his limitations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32