sore shoulder after pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2010
Is it normal for DD shoulder to be sore after pitching approx 8-10 innings over a weekend. Recently learned IR past couple of months. 11 yr and slender build. Was not sure if this is due to new motion and building new muscle. It is mostly the rear deltoid. She says it hurts at the 2 o'clock position when pulling the arm down. Anyone have similar experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Pitching should not hurt. So, it hurts during pitching and after?

It is hard to say, what is wrong. We could look at video of her, if you want.

Jan 27, 2010
Your DD is probably tensing the shoulder or using the shoulder improperly.It could be one of many things that would cause discomfort or soreness in the throwing motion and could lead to injury, if not corrected. Take her to a PC. Can you post some video?

Jan 17, 2010
Sounds very much like my 12 yo experience. Turns out to be the immobility in her neck that is causing the problem.
She is seeing a physical therapist twice a week and situation appears to be resolving itself.

May 9, 2010
has a tendency to lock her elbow. has gotten better. when it is not locked slightly more speed on the ball also.

May 10, 2010
I have a question. What was her preperation prior to pitching those games? I see many kids who do not warm up properly or coaches that put pitchers in that have not warmed up at all.

Apr 2, 2010
With my dd, we talk about pain in two different ways.

1. My muscles are tired because I've pitched 15+ innings on one day
2. Something's not right, and it really hurts

When she was younger she couldn't explain the difference, but she has learned that just like when you're working out your muscles get fatigued. I would consider this normal. When she reaches this point, she's done. She's no good for anyone. She stops to avoid using bad technique to compensate for her fatigue. This prevents real injury.

However, she's found out what it feels like when something isn't right (Pulled hamstring, tendonitis in her shoulder at the growth plate, nerve pinched.) If ibuprophen, ice after she's done for the day, and a heating pad or a hot shower for sore muscles don't do the trick, something is up. We have started taking this pretty seriously, keeping her long-term goals in mind.

Hope that helps a little.

May 9, 2010
we always stretch prior to each game. we also warm up at least 40 pitches prior. she plays ss may have to come in relief. she is sore the next day not during the game. i agree with sweet pitch it is hard for her to explain what she is feeling. watching her trying to stretch her arm during lesson after the weekend is over, makes me wonder whats going on. motrin does help and with everyday after she says it feels better. by that time we are playing again. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1