Pitching concerns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2020
hello everyone. New to the site and wanted to see if others have had similar dealings with certain injuries. Have a daughter playing softball who's 11 and is about 7 months into pitching. About a month ago during a training session she did a "walk up" exercise and pulled up in pain from her stride leg knee. She's right handed so it is her left knee. After, she said she could still apply pressure on her leg but could not pitch comfortably because when she lands on her left leg strided out she felt pain. We took a month off and got back into it and she recently had the same issue during a tournament. She was pulled from the cirlce but was able to play first base, hit, run and slide with no discomfort or pain. I have a doctors appointment lined up so I'm not looking for any medical answers, just wondering if anyone has had a younger pitcher go through the same type of injury or pain and what course of action was taken? I really appreciate all the answers and everyone taking the time to read this.

Jul 8, 2020
I think my DD had an issue with her IT band when pitching. Didn't last long, needed stretching. Does she absorb the impact when she is jumping out?

Jul 8, 2020
we just had that IT band issue. but maybe it was also just growing. This was back in 12U and she was getting taller.

Apr 11, 2016
Physical Therapy. DD has been pitching since 8, and she is turning 13 soon. She had a knee problem, not from pitching, but from a basketball game where a larger girl "tackled" her while she recovered a ball and lying on the ground (wrong sport, kid!) That injured DD's right knee.

Went to Physical Therapy, and DD learned how to strengthen her knee's surrounding muscles. One thing she learned (and I learned) is that female tends to turn their knees inward, that creates instability. Tugging in her tailbone and forcing her knees to face forward would help balance better. It requires a better posture to do both, and DD is getting better at it (constantly reminding her).

Recently brought DD back to PT due to her right shoulder hurting after pitching and tennis. (DD is a right-hand pitcher). PT says she needs to strengthen her back shoulder muscles, along with more strengthening on hips and thigh muscles b/c PT also saw DD tend to turn her left foot to 3 o'clock vs. 2 o'clock at the end of her pitch.

I am all for prevention before real injury happens. Pitching requires tons of repetition, but if the core isn't strong enough, kids this age will just compensate with the wrong muscles and posture. Better to learn about better posture and strengthening up the correct muscles now than getting injury in the future. I highly recommend seeing a PT that works with athletes.

Oct 4, 2018
Not had that one, no.

But doctor is almost always the right answer. Let us know what you find out.

May 6, 2015
Recently brought DD back to PT due to her right shoulder hurting after pitching and tennis. (DD is a right-hand pitcher). PT says she needs to strengthen her back shoulder muscles,

DD as a catcher (and swimmer) had the same issue, pain in shoulder, ortho called it "multidirectional instability", Rx was to strengthen should and back muscles (her shoulder blades were also "winging" out due to this, ie moving around a lot) with PT, it is definitely helping, now have to transition her to do this with a trainer at a cross fit place rather than a therapist ($$$$$$)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802