Pitching concerns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Hope she heals quickly. One lesson we've learned is to find a great orthopedic doctor and as soon as it seems like an injury get into them asap. It took us 3 tries to find a great doctor and he has been a godsend

Apr 11, 2016
DD as a catcher (and swimmer) had the same issue, pain in shoulder, ortho called it "multidirectional instability", Rx was to strengthen should and back muscles (her shoulder blades were also "winging" out due to this, ie moving around a lot) with PT, it is definitely helping, now have to transition her to do this with a trainer at a cross fit place rather than a therapist ($$$$$$)
Yes, PT is giving her strengthening exercises to build up back shoulder muscles. PT also wants her to strengthen her thigh, hip, and ab muscles so support her pitching motions. Good idea! I'd definitely look into cross fit after these PT sessions. HC just asked me to help out with coaching the pitchers, so I am going to start adding strengthening exercises before the pitcher/catcher practices. Her team just moved up to 14U, so I don't want these girls to get hurt with the longer distance.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
hello everyone. New to the site and wanted to see if others have had similar dealings with certain injuries. Have a daughter playing softball who's 11 and is about 7 months into pitching. About a month ago during a training session she did a "walk up" exercise and pulled up in pain from her stride leg knee. She's right handed so it is her left knee. After, she said she could still apply pressure on her leg but could not pitch comfortably because when she lands on her left leg strided out she felt pain. We took a month off and got back into it and she recently had the same issue during a tournament. She was pulled from the cirlce but was able to play first base, hit, run and slide with no discomfort or pain. I have a doctors appointment lined up so I'm not looking for any medical answers, just wondering if anyone has had a younger pitcher go through the same type of injury or pain and what course of action was taken? I really appreciate all the answers and everyone taking the time to read this.
She's a little young but it could be Osgood-Shlatter disease. Has she started a growth spurt? I had a 12 yr old pitcher that had it for almost 2 years before it gradually went away. She used KT tape for support and at times went back to step motion rather than leap and drag.

Apr 28, 2016
I had Osgood Schlatter’s in both knees in 6th grade. It was VERY painful, but I carried on and didn’t complain. My parents noticed something was wrong when I was climbing the stairs onto the school is sideways and using only one leg (the one that didn’t hurt as badly) to lift my body.

Grew too fast and bones and ligaments couldn’t keep up. It causes a bony protrusion in the front of the knee under the kneecap. Treatment for me involved stretching hamstrings and strengthen quads. Relief was quick. That was 30 years ago, so a diagnosis may mean different treatment options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802