Softball Science (Backyard Variety) -- Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Disagree about what?

I never said bat speed doesnt matter or is irrelevant.
Simply added there are factors variables that can affect exit speed.
I disagree that there are other factors that affect exit speed. There are only 2. Bat speed and angle of impact.

I fully agree that there are many factors that effect bat speed however.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I disagree that there are other factors that affect exit speed. There are only 2. Bat speed and angle of impact.

:) however you want to organize your filing cabinet ;)
Nice to see itemizing how you do agree!
Often chuckle at the verbage wars in technical hitting.
No disagreement there are other factors
Simple as that!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So after reading this, my question is why don't all players use drop 13 bats? I still don't buy the science specially on balls that are hit not on the sweet spot.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
In 1993, my skinny 8 yr old used a 19 oz 'lightweight' bat.

Today's bat makers have you guys bamboozled.

Bat drag is causing higher EV with these super light bats. Eliminate the bat drag and your EV will pop with heavier bats.

Oct 26, 2019
So after reading this, my question is why don't all players use drop 13 bats? I still don't buy the science specially on balls that are hit not on the sweet spot.
Well mass is part of the equation. Heavier bats will hit the ball farther if swung at the same speed. My guess is there is a point for each kid where they get to a certain size bat and the swings speed falls dramatically.

Feb 25, 2020
Its not necessarily "weight" its the MOI of the bat. You could easily make a 20 oz bat with a higher MOI than a 25 oz bat.(edit same length)

Oct 26, 2019
Its not necessarily "weight" its the MOI of the bat. You could easily make a 20 oz bat with a higher MOI than a 25 oz bat.(edit same length)
Correct - this is where the whole end loaded vs balanced thing comes in and swing weight vs actual weight.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri

Wouldn't it be 3 factors (ish): Velocity (bat speed), mass (bat weight), and impact geometry (this is the "ish". impact angle on multiple axis; not just the horizontal up)?

If 2 bats swung at the same velocity and contacted with the same impact geometry, the heavier bat wins. I'm assuming your point that that bat weight will dictate the bat velocity. But I still think there is a butter zone of mass and velocity of bat.

Love the conversation, btw. Physics is good stuff!

Oct 26, 2019
Wouldn't it be 3 factors (ish): Velocity (bat speed), mass (bat weight), and impact geometry (this is the "ish". impact angle on multiple axis; not just the horizontal up)?

If 2 bats swung at the same velocity and contacted with the same impact geometry, the heavier bat wins. I'm assuming your point that that bat weight will dictate the bat velocity. But I still think there is a butter zone of mass and velocity of bat.

Love the conversation, btw. Physics is good stuff!
Yes. I over simplified since we were talking about bat speed and exit speed and making the assumption that the bats were the same mass. I was a HS math teacher before I became an A.D. so I nerd out on all this stuff. Physics is fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA