Softball Science (Backyard Variety) -- Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Bat lag and bat drag are two very different things. Head over to the swing mechanics forum and ask that question. Don't know that this forum is the best place to start delving into mechanics. I'd like to see this conversation stay on the physics behind EV. Bat angle shouldn't have much of anything to do with EV, that's just the direction the ball goes once hit. You can still hit a ball 100mph straight into the ground as you can over the fence.

Don't bring any more of the swing mechanics guys over here. ;)

Oct 4, 2018
Here's DD2's numbers. DD2 is 11, and has played on better teams than DD1 and has had many more lessons:

1614203456729.png

DD1's numbers:

1614203479717.png

Feb 1, 2021
Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm here but RAD, justanotherguy has you on this one. They are two very different things.

Bat lag (the act of not casting the hands away form the body early in a swing) is actually desirable in a swing.

Bat drag (see below, leading the swing with both elbows causing the bat head to drop severely) on the other hand is not desirable.

1614260024161.png

Bat lag and bat drag are two very different things.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not to argue!
Not debating how to use those words.
Rather explain again.
The two words actually do mean the same thing when speaking.
As used in daily conversations.
Pointing out that while some people may differenciate between
how to use the words
lag or drag
* both words actually mean
Fallen behind
This is why people use both.
Not saying they should or shouldnt. Just that it happens.

Added this viewpoint because of hearing coaches/people/players refferencing these words mixing them, interchanging them, debating ...because of
what people think they see in a swing.
And
BY PROOF OF THE TECHNICAL HITTING FORUM ....
its hard for most to come to the same conclusion of what they would describe seeing in hitting mechanics.
Hense how they may use the same words differently!

With hitting dont care to use either word myself.
Specifically because of the way those words are commonly used in daily conversation.
Fallen behind.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm here but RAD, justanotherguy has you on this one. They are two very different things.

Bat lag (the act of not casting the hands away form the body early in a swing) is actually desirable in a swing.

Bat drag (see below, leading the swing with both elbows causing the bat head to drop severely) on the other hand is not desirable.

View attachment 21161

That kid is horrible. He needs to play soccer.

:p

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
A simple way to think of bat drag, is if the hands are ever behind the back elbow, you have bat drag. (Pic in Post#54 is a severe example)

It's simply a loss of free leverage.

Oct 4, 2018
A simple way to think of bat drag, is if the hands are ever behind the back elbow, you have bat drag. (Pic in Post#54 is a severe example)

It's simply a loss of free leverage.

Thanks. I can't even do a practice swing with my hands behind the back elbow. Feels really awkward. Guess I don't have bat drag, which is a huge relief to everyone I'm sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13