Softball Science (Backyard Variety) -- Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Strength + bat speed = ball go far
Swing the heaviest bat your DD can maintain and control high swing speed. Went down the rabbit hole of smaller lighter bat, and it does affect distance in my mind, even though exit speeds were similar, but heavier longer bat had higher exits.

Feb 1, 2021
We have done similar tests although quite a bit less 'formal', ie, no spreadsheets. Our results were similar to yours, showing exit velocity on any bat we have tried seems to stay inside a pretty small range. A mechanical change in the actual swing however had a bigger influence on EV then choice of bat.

Looking just at the bat itself and which is the best one for you, the swing control and ability to swing and connect with the ball 'on the sweet spot' is the biggest difference maker in my opinion. Obviously, that's much more difficult to measure, but one that you 'know when you see it'.

I did toss out a few. She would hit the top of the ball and it would go straight down and Pocket Radar would say 41 or something. But the consistency across bats made me laugh out loud. I even said "why do we bother buying so many bats?" when they're all about the same.

Oct 4, 2018
Strength + bat speed = ball go far
Swing the heaviest bat your DD can maintain and control high swing speed. Went down the rabbit hole of smaller lighter bat, and it does affect distance in my mind, even though exit speeds were similar, but heavier longer bat had higher exits.

It really might vary per person.

Sep 19, 2018
Bat makers cracked the code on EV a long time ago. Bats made in 2003 - 2005 were all hotter than they are today. I don't doubt that the bats today have larger sweet spots and a lot less sting. but the EV are all very similar because all of the bats are right up to the maximum performance allowed. It all comes down to Is it the correct bat for the player, size, weight, balance, color (in some cases).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The strength of the batter doesn’t have an impact on the force production other than it obviously impacts bat speed. If all other variables remain the same and two people of different strengths swung the same bat at the same speed the exit velocity would be identical.

I remember a video floating around a few years ago of a major-league baseball player hitting a no handed homerun that goes along with this.
Not compairing equal to equal.

What i commented toward is
AT WHAT POINT does the strength of the batter apply more force at impact.
More or less resistance.

Both fatigue or strength
Driving threw at contact are relevant.
( not just mechanics,
Rather be able to not only swing at a rate of speed but also keep that speed threw contact)
More or less resistance.

There is the weight element of the ball.
And core.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Swing the heaviest bat your DD can maintain and control high swing speed.

This^^^

When evaluating bats, or determining if your DD should move up in size, always find out what it will do to her bat speed. As @Towny9 stated, that will far outweigh (no pun intended) the effect of the heavier bat.

Of course exit velocity should have a direct correlation to bat speed but there are all kinds of other factors like how well the ball was hit that can effect exit velocity.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
there are all kinds of other factors like how well the ball was hit that can effect exit velocity.
This 👆✅

Some batters, at connecting, have a lag moment do to weight of object/ball at impact.
Also bat angle at contact is a factor.
Certainly other things too.

Jul 2, 2013
This 👆✅

Some batters, at connecting, have a lag moment do to weight of object/ball at impact.
Also bat angle at contact is a factor.
Certainly other things too.

Correct. That's why the most "scientific" way to decide is probably bat speed. The best way is probably that info along with feel for the batter. If they aren't comfortable swinging it, they won't be their best.

Feb 1, 2021
Decide what?

EV is the collective output of all the input factors including weight and bat speed. If you want to know what works best for you, measure EV, sort them high to low, then go down the list until you find one that you are confident you can swing well or has the best feel. That's the bat.

Correct. That's why the most "scientific" way to decide is probably bat speed. The best way is probably that info along with feel for the batter. If they aren't comfortable swinging it, they won't be their best.