Softball Parents Perception

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Just had that happen a couple of weeks ago at a scrimmage...DD was catching, and on the 2nd batter, dropped her helmet on a wild pitch and tripped over it. She fell and broke her fall with her hands. You could see her non-gloved hand hit the ground and you could tell it really hurt. Of course, my first thought was, "Oh no, we have our first tournament next weekend!" She sat out the first two innings, couldn't handle the backup catcher having so many passed balls, and asked to go back in. She ended up perfectly fine! The other parents were amazed that my wife and I just sat calmly in our chairs when she went down for the count...we aren't those parents that have to run on to the field every time their kid gets hurt!

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Last summer, DD pitching with 2 out, runners on 2 and 3, bottom 7 of a 1 run game. Batter hits a laser beam off her thigh. Everyone on the field gasps. Her mom and I simultaneously yell out "get the ball to one!" She gets the out. Leg didn't hurt nearly as much that way.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
My daughter hurt her thumb on her pitching hand this past weekend in the first game of a three game round robin. Over the next two games she went 4-6 at the plate and pitched the 3rd game. She really struggled pitching (very hard on dad). I have to learn to chill. She didn't tell anyone about her thumb until after the last game. I took her in on Monday and it is fractured. She said she didn't tell anyone because she didn't want to sit out. Now she'll be sitting at least two weeks. Maybe the doctor can put some type of splint on it tomorrow so she can at least play first and bat this coming weekend. I need help.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD pitching takes line drive to knee goes down is in pain. Ball picked up by 2nd base gets the 3rd out and is out of the inning. Limps off the field. I was assisting coach at time ask her how her knee feels and if she wants to seat out. As I'm asking DD wife comes out of the bleachers walks over to the dug-out. I'm like great here comes my wife to ask how DD is or to baby her little girl 9 at the time.Wife looks at DD and right in front of the team, umpire and the other coaches tells my DD she needs to suck it up and get back out there her team needs her.This from a woman who never played a day of sports in her life.DD went back out there and was fine.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Playing the second game of a championship series when a ball is grounded hard up the middle. Gets by my pitcher and both my short and second go for the ball. They run head first into each other. Heads smack, hips smack and legs really smack. Had to pull them up and carry both into the dugout. Calied the parents out of the stands and had them take their kids to ER. Ended up losing the game for a split. The last game is the next day and I get phone calls from both parents saying their kids won't be able to play. One had a swollen knee and couldn't walk and the other had two black eyes and a bum wheel. Next day I'm at the fields during warm-ups wondering what the heck to do not only with the batting order (they were #1 and #2 and I had worked all night to get a viable order with no success) but what to do for defense as they were my two best athletes. 10 minutes into warm-ups, they come limping onto the field and their parents tell me they couldn't keep them away. The Dr.s had cleared them to play so play they did. We ended up winning the game and championship in extra innings. As another poster said, "Normal" parents wouldn't get it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Two years ago DD fractured her left hand while batting, after a couple weeks I decided to let the Manager know she was hurt since the injury occurred during a game. His first question was, it is not her pitching hand is it? :)

Sep 6, 2011
LOL.. I can relate to all the stories... and some say those involved with horses are crazy... I agree softball is a disease!!!

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Last fall, my DD complained of some pain in her left knee after a tournament. She said she felt it when she jumped for a ball in warmups before the 2nd game. She played 6 more games without limping, so we didn't think too much of it. It was still bothering her the next week, so we took her to Ortho and had an MRI. He said there was nothing obvious, so she could play if she was able. That weekend, the first game was early morning and chilly, so coach sat her as she was afraid the muscles would be stiff and didn't want to compound the problem. She told her she could play the next game if she could run without limping. She was able to, so we allowed her to play. She played another 6 games and was hitting the cover off the ball. The Monday after the 2nd tourney we got the results of the MRI - torn meniscus. Mine and coach's first response was - Glad we didn't know that on Friday. Good news is Ortho said she probably didn't make it worse and she was able to recover with therapy and PRP injection - no surgery. I felt like mother of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole