Softball Parents Perception

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
I was reading in another thread where a player broke her wrist at nationals and it made me think about how a typical softball parent would react to the news. This is my perception of how a conversation would go:

Softball Parent: I have good news and bad news about Jane.
Friend: Really? What's going on?

Softball Parent: Jane broke her wrist in a softball game.
Friend: That is really bad news.

Softball Parent: Bad news? That is not the bad news.
Friend: Really? What is the bad news?

Softball Parent: The bad news is she didn't get the out.
Friend: Oh. What is the good news?

Softball Parent: The good news is it was her catching arm and the Doctor says she can play again in a couple of weeks.

Jan 20, 2010
I have a friend whose daughter fell (well jumped actually) out of a moving golf cart and badly sprained her wrist. His first comment was "at least it wasn't her pitching hand".

Nov 29, 2009
One of my former players was playing in Boulder last month, rather she was there with her team. She broke her wrist and was in a cast. One of the coaches who was looking at her wanted to see her run. She is a very quick kids. She talked the coach into letting her hit. She is a slapper. She did a one-handed slap that I taught her when she was 10 and was safe. So never underestimate a determined athlete.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
in December 2009 DD dislocated her ankle putting her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The first thing she asked my while at the hospital was "Will I still be able to play softball?".

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A few years ago, the fire door in our kitchen slammed shut (due to a draft) and closed on my left hand. I had to go to the ER. When I told my son (he was at college) he said "Mom, Can you still throw?"

I know. "Normal" families don't understand.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
A friend that played with DD1 her first season, broke her hand last fall (school ball). When dad took her to the doctor, the doctor asked if they had her glove with them. Dad went out and got the glove out of the truck and the doctor made the cast fit in her glove. But good thing it wasn't her pitching hand. That would have been awful.

Jan 31, 2011
I was reading in another thread where a player broke her wrist at nationals and it made me think about how a typical softball parent would react to the news. This is my perception of how a conversation would go:

Softball Parent: I have good news and bad news about Jane.
Friend: Really? What's going on?

Softball Parent: Jane broke her wrist in a softball game.
Friend: That is really bad news.

Softball Parent: Bad news? That is not the bad news.
Friend: Really? What is the bad news?

Softball Parent: The bad news is she didn't get the out.
Friend: Oh. What is the good news?

Softball Parent: The good news is it was her catching arm and the Doctor says she can play again in a couple of weeks.

L -O-(Freaking)-L!

Quick story. Years ago DD#1 was playing ball with a bunch of kids in a city park...Kids actually just playing for fun, can you believe it? She was catching with no mask, and a big kid accidentally smashed her in her forehead with the bat. Took her to the ER & it was 1 week before ASA State. She got stitches and the doc ok'ed her playing the next weekend...I had to cut a little section of the padding out of her helmet where the stitches were so she could play. I was worried that the umpires would see something wrong during inspection, so I made the foam padding removable. Pop it in for inspection, pop it out for play. Softball is a disease I tell you!

May 5, 2008
:D

Thanks for that. Made me smile.

I saw the dr for a hit to the eye once and he had me out until the following Thursday, but we were traveling for a Thanksgiving tournament the Wednesday before that so I asked if I could start playing that day instead. He ok'd it! :D

Now that I think about it, crazy thing is, my coaches put me right back into the lineup even though I missed over a week. >.<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd