Softball Newbie Bat Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Composite bat will make a difference then. DD's favorite bat was bought on here used. It was all beat up when we got it, DD beat it up some more. It was a CF6 from poster JAD.

Agreeing with other poster, at this age I would look for a used bat or an latter model. IMO there is no reason to spend $300 for a bat unless she is going to use it for a long time and your DD is still growing so she might switch bats 6 months or a year from now.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For a soon to be 10 year old, what size girl is she, and how would you compare her strength to the other girls on her team?

I know that's young but I'd try to stay as close to a balanced bat as possible, maybe a -11 at the very least!

And I absolutely agree with the others on a used bat, girls at this age never even break a bat in, they outgrow them, so a used bat may have some cosmetic scratches and chips in it but chances are it's not even broken in. Definitely go used and put a new Lizard Skin grip on it!

-10 :)

Sep 7, 2022
For a soon to be 10 year old, what size girl is she, and how would you compare her strength to the other girls on her team?

I know that's young but I'd try to stay as close to a balanced bat as possible, maybe a -11 at the very least!

And I absolutely agree with the others on a used bat, girls at this age never even break a bat in, they outgrow them, so a used bat may have some cosmetic scratches and chips in it but chances are it's not even broken in. Definitely go used and put a new Lizard Skin grip on it!
She's a bit small. She's currently using a very cheap 28" -11 that she swings well.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

I know I said -11 minimum, but these -12 Miken's are fantastic starter bats, Anna used a Miken Icon as her first composite and it was bombproof! And....that little bat is still being used!

Jun 8, 2016
Definitely go used and put a new Lizard Skin grip on it!
Sort of off topic, but how long does a Lizard Skin typically last for you guys/gals? I have to put a new one on every 2 or 3 months for DD's BP bat. Is that typical? It obviously depends on usage but I was just wondering if DD is taking sandpaper to it behind my back so she can get a new one and drain me of more money..

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sort of off topic, but how long does a Lizard Skin typically last for you guys/gals? I have to put a new one on every 2 or 3 months for DD's BP bat. Is that typical? It obviously depends on usage but I was just wondering if DD is taking sandpaper to it behind my back so she can get a new one and drain me of more money..
They definitely last me longer than that. What size are you using? I like the 1.1mm the best.

Jun 8, 2016
They definitely last me longer than that. What size are you using? I like the 1.1mm the best.
The middle size, whatever that is. If it was me I would use the thinnest, I liked my handles as thin as possible. The stuff they used on the aluminum bats I used growing up never wore out and I used to take like 300 swings a day in the summer.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree with @ANNASDAD about getting a used bat. There are a lot of us on here who have a garage full of older, smaller bats that our daughters have outgrown. The composites are not worth the money at that size and age. I just gave away 5 bats to my district MS coach back in May, but I'm sure someone on here has a bat for you which will suit your needs.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I know I said -11 minimum, but these -12 Miken's are fantastic starter bats, Anna used a Miken Icon as her first composite and it was bombproof! And....that little bat is still being used!
Omg, those old Miken Halos and Rains were awesome!!!!

Really disappointed when Miken gave up fp to Worth and the lineup wasnt brought over to Worth.
Man, the price point was nice for those little bats too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez