Softball Injury - Rotator Cuff

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2012
I have a couple of questions and looking for others that have a DD that might have had this injury.. So the end of high school season last year we find out that DD has a torn rotator cuff. Dr.1 says therapy for 6 weeks and she should be ok.. Well six weeks go by, we miss most of the summer travel ball session, but we still attend all games. No real improvement shoulder still hurts etc. So we get another opinion, Dr. 2 says rotator cuffs don't just heal with therapy unless there is no movement with the arm.. He says best course is surgery, so DD has it done 2 days before school (Aug.) She follows the therapy for the next 4 months.. Dr. releases her after thanksgiving, but she has no real power, which I understand because she hasn't really thrown in close to 6 months.. She can barely get it from third to first without a bounce.. Here is my dilemma we are supposed to go to a college visit at the end of this month and then the rising stars tournament the first week in Jan. But if she can't throw is there a point in going? This whole process has been frustrating for both DD and me.. Her travel team has been great about the whole situation, in saying she has a spot no matter what and not wanting to rush her back, but we are shelling out a lot of cash for the team then hotels, and gas, etc., but we she isn't getting any exposure and isn't that what travel ball is for.. I'm trying not to rush her back, but it is hard, her effort on the field is great, first in line to run, technique is great on all drills wants to attend all games and practices even though she can't play or do anything... Her strength is fielding, hitting we are working on, but if she can't throw, then should be just wait.. Anyone have any experience with this and how long it took their DD to throw normally??

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter had never complained about her arm at all until her senior year. She didnt really say it hurt, but said she had no power and it felt like her arm was coming off. Went to her doctor several times who said he could find no trouble. Finally after about 6 months he ordered an MRI and it came back with a posterior tear of the labrum and a 15% tear of the rotator cuff. Her orthopedist said the rotator tear was a direct result of the labrum tear since that then put all the pressure on the cuff. The other thing he said he found odd was that she had a posterior tear which is typically an impact type of injury usually seen in football players who land with an extended arm. We could not remember her every jamming an arm while playing.

She had surgery in October of 2008 and followed with physical therapy into February of 2009. Her doctor cleared her to return to playing but it was obvious her arm was not the same. The doctor had already warned us only 50% of people with her type of injury ever return to play at the same level. Through work and practice she did play all 4 years of her college career. Her arm finally got back to close to where it had been, but it literally took 2 full years. Her doctor told her a couple of things she ALWAYS needed to remember. The first was she was to ice after every practice and game to keep the inflammation down, the second he told her she knew her limits and to never exceed them. If her arm became sore, she was to stop throwing and back off to keep from reinjuring it.

As for traveling with the team that is your decision. While she probably should not be throwing right now until the arm gets some strength back, she can certainly pinch hit and be a base runner and contribute in that fashion.

Jul 26, 2010
First rule of playing showcase ball: Don't showcase until you're ready to blow minds.

Sounds like it's clear.

I hope your daughter heals soon and keeps her head up. Best of luck to you both.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My DD tore her cuff the summer between freshman and sophomore year ( 2010 ) We went to 2 Ortho docs and one other who specialize in dealing with pitcher's. The first 2 ortho's gave the standard "physical therapy" yada yada. Well we did that for a couple of months with not getting 1% better.

Dr. 2 says rotator cuffs don't just heal with therapy unless there is no movement with the arm.. He says best course is surgery, so DD has it done 2 days before school (Aug.) She follows the therapy for the next 4 months

Finally my brother talked me into driving a few hours to see the sports doctor his BB players use. This doc read the dye MRI and immediately said, if she ever even wants a chance of pitching again..........she needs to be shut down for a year. He went on to show us how pitchers have an extraordinary range of motion in the shoulders, that's why they can "pitch" in ways other normal athletes can't.

So he advised against surgery. Because with the surgery he would have to tighten up the ligaments and tendons, dangering the "extraordinary" range. He said its almost a 50/50 chance when surgery is involved, of ever pitching again and even less of pitching at full "successful" motion.

Long story short, we sat out the year, did Prolotherapy injections ( from sports doc ), did about 2 months of PT at the end of the year, and now DD is better and stronger than she ever was.

This last part is for you Joker.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to take it extremely slow. My DD made her return this year ( spring 2012 ). She pitched and won the HS programs first state championship win, she drove in the winning run to boot in the 7th. She was ranked the #4 pitcher in the state by Maxpreps, and a finalist in the Pepsi athlete of the year. She will sign next month for college.

^^^^^^^All after the doctors told us she might never be the same again. The human body has amazing abilities to heal, I'll keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2012
Her shoulder has bothered her for a couple of years, we had at least 4 or 5 MRI's in the last 2 years, each time we were told it was nothing. Seemed after travel ball and things slowed down, her arm would hurt less, and then she was ok, so we figured it was just tired.. Start of this year she said it hurt a little more than usual during high school, and she had some tendentious in her elbow, which the doctor said was from her compensating for her shoulder hurting.. He suggested getting an MRI that had a dye they inject in to the shoulder then they take the pictures.. Sure enough there was a tear, they did the surgery in August of this year (2 sutchers later), she's released now, but her arm is weak.. This weekend she played in her first tournament since surgery, at second base to help limit throwing, first 2 games she was ok, ice’ d after each game 3rd game though it started bothering her, so we took her out. She wants to play so bad, but I want to make sure I don't force her to play. I just like to hear actual timeframes from though’ s who have go through it, because a doctor can say what should happen, but what actual does is different. Sounds like we are really early and maybe we shouldn't even be playing or least throwing game speed.. Warm up throwing maybe ok.. Decisions Decisions..

Jun 22, 2008
Work back up to it slowly. It really kind of ticked me off when she did come back to playing because her doctor was very specific about if it started to hurt, stop throwing and ice it. Of course once she got to practice she had coaches yelling at her that she needed to push throught he pain and work it out. That is exactly what the doctor told her NOT to do. A little discomfort I can understand continuing to work the arm, but when you are experiencing actual pain its time to stop and work on it another day. As I said, my daughters injury was more significant with the labrum tear, but it was a good 2 years before the arm really got back to a good playable level. Of course it would have been a lot easier if she hadnt been an outfielder and had to throw so hard all the time.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
They couldn't see my DD's tear either with a normal MRI, and found it with the dye. ( she hated that dye one )

Joker, I'm no doctor but is sure doesn't seem like you've waited long enough to let that surgery set in and s-l-o-w-l-y build the strength and flexibility back up.

I don't mean to get in your business at all, but I'm going to preach to you a tad from a father to father. What is the rush? Its the fall/winter, why won't you just let her build that back up over the next couple of months at home and maybe some extra physical therapy? If she is insisting on playing, you gotta be the grown up and make her understand the long term benefits of time off.

Nothing between August and March ( start of HS ball ) is going to affect her ability to get looks for college. ( we've been there and done that ) If she rushes that return and either looks bad or re-injures that shoulder, you can bet your house her days are over playing or the college dream is gone. Please do the right thing, and make her understand you can't put a stop watch on recovery........it takes a calendar.

My DD didnt have the surgery like yours but she shut down from September of 2010 to September of 2011. Missed out on that important year of sophomore playing and college exposure. I know how you feel and how she feels.

I'm pulling for your DD and you, but please think about what time of year it is.............

GD

Jun 8, 2012
The only real rush I guess is she is wanting to go to the Rising stars exposure tournament the first week in Jan. and at the end of this month there is a college that she has been talking with that has a camp and they want her to take her around and show her the campus. But if she can't throw well enough to impress anyone, is there really a need to go. I don't want her to over do anything and hurt it for one tournament. She is a junior, so is this coming summer more important (her health), than this winter? I'm thinking yes, but this the first time having to deal with a DD and colleges, etc. I appreciate all the help and advice.. This whole process has been a struggle, which way to go and what is best for her..

I agree the MRI with the dye is the way to go, I was in the room when they were putting the dye in, it was amazing to see the dye in there and the bones and the way it moves around.. I've been telling anyone that says they have to have an MRI on a shoulder to have the dye put in.. Her shoulder was sore for a little bit, she said she looked buff in one shoulder because it was bigger...lol

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I agree the MRI with the dye is the way to go, I was in the room when they were putting the dye in, it was amazing to see the dye in there and the bones and the way it moves around.. I've been telling anyone that says they have to have an MRI on a shoulder to have the dye put in.. Her shoulder was sore for a little bit, she said she looked buff in one shoulder because it was bigger...lol

Pretty cool...hopefully my kids don't have my allergies...I am allergic to the dye (found out last year after being rushed to the ER due to severe reaction)...which is weird because I am not allergic to anything else (not to my knowledge).

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Joker, I know you're in a pickle with your DD wanting to play and the clock ticking on college and her exposure. Trust me, I was in full panic mode myself.

We missed out on a FULL year of exposure. If I were you I'd really reconsider these next two exposure dates you mention and lay off. Like Star said above, no need to go if you're not 100%. In most cases you will do more harm ( in the college run ) than good.

We had to send out emails "explaining" the injury to coaches. It might have cost us a few inquires but life went on.

This really hits home for me for two reasons, one is we JUST went through it and two is we had to do all our "exposure" our junior year ( spring and summer ) same as you will be. ( mine is a senior now ) DO NOT put her in front of a group of college coaches until she is 100%, the ones who see her will scratch her name off and the ones who don't see her WILL hear. Because college coaches talk ( I learned that this year ).

Let her heal and strengthen it up. Spring ball HS, and summer travel ball exposure will be all she needs in terms of getting some decent offers. You rush it and prolong the recovery or re-injure, well you get the point.........

This covers pitchers more, but you'll see the recovery times and how long it takes them to even begin to throw again.........much less pitch.

A torn rotator cuff: You don't want this | MLB.com: News

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole