Sock Drill For Limited Space

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I am not sure if the Sock Drill has been posted here in the past but I couldn't find it so will assume it hasn't.

Anyway, I came across what I think is a REALLY COOL drill for baseball pitchers that can easily be applied to softball pitchers. Not having a catcher, cold weather, not having space to pitch, etc. etc. etc. is no longer an excuse not to get pitching in.

The only potential difference is using a bigger sock or possibly a cut off sweat shirt sleeve that will allow for a softball. My DD's are out of town but will try this over the Christmas break and think it could be very useful when they don't have a catcher, tarp to throw into, space to pitch, etc.

Use your imagination and click on the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMg3sE-eH9E

Lastly, this could be a great drill to cure HE! It would only take one time doing the sock drill and I am pretty sure they wouldn't do that again!!:D

Great drill idea for those that can't get outside and don't have a facility to use. Fred Corral the coach in the video is now the pitching coach at the University of Georgia. While at UGA I had the chance to interact with Fred several times. He is very giving of his wealth of knowledge.....we had some great conversations. It is amazing the amount of crossover there is from baseball pitching to softball pitching. Fred would be the kind of person we want posting on this site.
I think I'll give this sock drill a try. I am doing two clinics in Wisconsin this winter.....I am guessing this could be a big hit up there.

Jan 25, 2011
Iiiiii Like it! I wonder if a wool hunting sock would work better for a softball. They are a little bigger and seem to stretch out better.

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
DD's physical therapist uses something like this to observe rehabbing baseball players throw in the office. They had her throw underhand and it worked well for that as well. They used a heavy nylon sack instead of a sock.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
We have limited space at home, garage in the basement, 21' to throw. I mounted a 2'×3' board on the block wall, painted 4 zones to throw at. She pitches to it at a slight angle. I'll set beside her on a bucket to catch the ball as it bounces back. We use a jugs softie ball. Works great for limited space. I can keep an eye on her mechanics, and catch the ball.

Nov 21, 2013
Washington
That is funny I was just talking to a kid last night that I use to coach that is now pitching in the TB basball Org and he was saying that they do this quite often. As soon as we get off our winter break we were going to try to introduce this to our girls.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Interesting idea. I've had girls throw a rolled up pair of socks before to work on their pitching motion when they can't get outside or to a facility to throw a real ball. Might have to add this to the arsenal.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We have limited space at home, garage in the basement, 21' to throw. I mounted a 2'×3' board on the block wall, painted 4 zones to throw at. She pitches to it at a slight angle. I'll set beside her on a bucket to catch the ball as it bounces back. We use a jugs softie ball. Works great for limited space. I can keep an eye on her mechanics, and catch the ball.

I think a bownet would serve you better

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My only minor concern with this is.... will she start to develop a late or early release point since there is no actual ball flight to guage off of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1