So your DD wants to play in college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
mean girls

Great topic btw...
DD had some problems with some of the older girls in HS at the beginning of the season and this had me wondering about the college ladies. I did have to laugh when the worst of the seniors said her goodbye speech... "to all of the under class men, I want to let you know that I don't hate you. .. It's just my face. "

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I hate watching our kids suffer. It literally makes my stomach clench. Plus the betrayal from softball, which is supposed to be pure love. Sending lots of good thoughts from Colorado!!

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I'm going to have a sit down talk with my t-baller tonight and tell her she needs to re-think her goal of playing college softball! Good read by the way.

Dec 7, 2011
Not to be argumentative (I have never been accused of that....;) ) but compare "all the girls coming home from college" who were sports players versus "all the girls coming home from college" that are not even athletes. I bet the % is about equal.

Point being I do not see any relationship peculiar to sports players - this is just "life" we are talking about.

Mar 26, 2013
I appreciate Cannonball providing some balance because playing in college is often over glamorized. People shouldn't be scared off, but they should open their eyes so they make informed decisions about it.

Our HS program holds an alumni game over Christmas break. The JV girls play a 3-inning slow pitch game against the older alumni and then the varsity plays a 3-inning game against the ones playing in college. It is a great reunion, however it is also done so the HS families can get info from the ones in college.

After the game, we have a few alumni that have played at least a season at various levels address the HS players and answer questions. There are a lot of common experiences across the levels as well as differences. A lot of the girls also hang around afterward to mingle and field any additional questions.

A lot of good info is exchanged by both the players and the parents. I highly recommend setting up any event that brings the 2 groups together so they can interact.

Mar 11, 2009
I appreciate Cannonball providing some balance because playing in college is often over glamorized. People shouldn't be scared off, but they should open their eyes so they make informed decisions about it.

Our HS program holds an alumni game over Christmas break. The JV girls play a 3-inning slow pitch game against the older alumni and then the varsity plays a 3-inning game against the ones playing in college. It is a great reunion, however it is also done so the HS families can get info from the ones in college.

After the game, we have a few alumni that have played at least a season at various levels address the HS players and answer questions. There are a lot of common experiences across the levels as well as differences. A lot of the girls also hang around afterward to mingle and field any additional questions.

A lot of good info is exchanged by both the players and the parents. I highly recommend setting up any event that brings the 2 groups together so they can interact.

Thanks, thats great advice...
TM

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cannonball brings up excellent points.

College ball is not "softball nirvana". The college coach is a human being, just like her TB and HS coaches. Therefore, s/he will have faults. The team in college is composed of women from the ages of 18 to 22, who are also human beings, and with their own set of human foibles. If a parent thinks his/her DD does not have have her own unique set of "issues", then she/he is seriously misguided.

(I did quite well academically in college. During college, I also woke up one morning on a sandbar in the middle of the Wabash River, without any clear recollection of how I got there. So, although I like to think of myself as a "responsible, hard working college student", the facts suggest otherwise.)

Playing college sports is simply playing the same sport at a more advanced level. There is nothing more to it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball