So your DD wants to play in college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Thus the importance of choosing the right fit for DD and even better,
a great reason to keep up the grades for financial rewards on the academic
side of the equation. A close friend of mine has a DD playing at a small D1
school. She is considered a 'walk-on' due to the fact she is a smart kid and as a freshman is
the starting SS at her school. Because of a myriad of off the field stuff going on
(much of which involves the team) she is hanging up her cleats at the end of spring.
Not so much for the physical toll it takes on her but more so the mental part.

I spoke with her over spring break, she will miss the game but there is more drama
there than at a 10U rec league. She is comfortable with the decision as all her $$
is academic and not tied to softball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
College ball is not for everyone which is why there is a fairly significant attrition rate for 1st year players. You have to make sure your DD knows what she is getting herself into.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have heard this all before and to your point it is not uncommon. Sounds like the coach is not taking care of their players. When I find out about programs like these I try my best to keep players away from them.

Dec 7, 2011
I noticed in one thread that there was an attempt at distinguishing between a D-I and "Top D-I" per workouts, demands on the players, travel, ... The facts are that the same requirement apply to most D-I and D-II schools.

From the handfull of direct feedback I have heard from other parents this is not neccessarily true across the board. I have heard of competitor-type players going to D2 and being absolutely sickened by the "rec" nature of the team AND visa versa.

It boils down to ya gotta know what the program is all about before ya get DD there. Through multiple channels & means. (reminds me that I probably have not done enough homework....)

My DD is one of those competitors that would have a tough time tolerating anything less but full dedication in the sb program for all team members. I trust that she knows she will just "get-r-done" for the classroom needs. She will stretch herself that way. I THINK I have her lined up with the right school. But do ya ever really know for sure.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Cannonball and many others who have had dd play in college could go on and on with this list.
My advice: 1. Pick a college that you can get a degree and be happy with , if softball doesn't pan out.
2. Look at the college roster and see how many in the upper class are left/ Red Flag
3. Go to a camp and talk to the players not the coaches. Did they change your hitting, pitching when you arrived ?
4. A big one, go watch them play and see how that really nice coach that is trying to recruit you acts during a game.
5. Study tables, tutors, and other help is very important since time hurts most kids. This is like having two jobs at the upper levels.
6. Go visit and try to spend the night on campus with the players. I know if kids did this on my DD' team they wouldn't want to come play for the coaching staff.
7. Money. athletic money can and will change. Don't count on it.

Mar 26, 2013
6. Go visit and try to spend the night on campus with the players.
This was a very important factor in my DD getting comfortable concerns about the school and program being a good fit for her. She spent the night in a dorm room with 2 players and another recruit. Unfortunately, this isn't feasible at a lot of schools. In that case, I recommend contacting players and/or their families you know or via people that know them.

The coaches are ultimately responsible for the culture of their program. The players are generally the most reliable source of info about how the program actually operates, however players have different perspectives based on their experiences (e.g. starter, disgruntled reserve) so it's best to hear from multiple and consider the source.

4. A big one, go watch them play and see how that really nice coach that is trying to recruit you acts during a game.
LOL, reminds me of the time my boss told a vendor they treated us much better before we signed the contract.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And, of course, the climate of cliques, relationships, and mean girls isn't restricted to softball. It is rampant in all of women's sports. But, seems to have gotten worse since the rise of social media.

The things girls are going through have been around for at least 45 years. I graduated from HS on 1972 and girls were mean, then, too. But, people just didn't hear a lot about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole