So you decided to get a hitting instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
DD started going a few months back after my DW fired me ("Who have you ever coached who can hit.." to which I had no good response. Hopefully in 10 years my son(s) will give me material to come back at her with...).

She goes every two weeks (100 bucks for a 60 min lesson.. :cautious: ). She started hitting better after 1 lesson so he must be a genius or something (I did let him know what I thought she needed to work on and send him game swings with comments...) A few swings from her lesson finally made his instagram last week so she is now famous..

Mainly she goes because we still argue too much when we hit. Depending on what kind of mood she is in, she is either all ears or I get the "nobody likes you, including Mom" to which again, I have no good comeback for..I got the latter yesterday..and then after I was throwing angle toss to her and she hit my hand with a line drive (I threw a ball down the middle instead of outside and with angle toss you kind of have to expose your body when you throw) so that was a great session..

She likes going..it is only money I guess (I diet in the summer anyway..).

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
DD started going a few months back after my DW fired me ("Who have you ever coached who can hit.." to which I had no good response. Hopefully in 10 years my son(s) will give me material to come back at her with...).

She goes every two weeks (100 bucks for a 60 min lesson.. :cautious: ). She started hitting better after 1 lesson so he must be a genius or something (I did let him know what I thought she needed to work on and send him game swings with comments...) A few swings from her lesson finally made his instagram last week so she is now famous..

Mainly she goes because we still argue too much when we hit. Depending on what kind of mood she is in, she is either all ears or I get the "nobody likes you, including Mom" to which again, I have no good comeback for..I got the latter yesterday..and then after I was throwing angle toss to her and she hit my hand with a line drive (I threw a ball down the middle instead of outside and with angle toss you kind of have to expose your body when you throw) so that was a great session..

Before your next hitting session or game, try listening to some positive vibes.

Jun 8, 2016
Before your next hitting session or game, try listening to some positive vibes.

Tell her..LOL. All I mentioned yesterday was something about paying attention to her ball trajectory on inside pitches off the tee and she told me I was being annoying.. :cautious: I think RAD got to her yesterday...told her to give me a tough time.. ;)

Apr 30, 2018

You at least make me feel slightly better about my and DD's "battles". Going to have to find a direction going forward where I continue to practice with, but cease to be her coach. Would have already made that transition, but we live an hour from nowhere.

Jun 8, 2016
You at least make me feel slightly better about my and DD's "battles". Going to have to find a direction going forward where I continue to practice with, but cease to be her coach. Would have already made that transition, but we live an hour from nowhere.
Glad I could help.. :ROFLMAO:

I am mostly to blame. As my 5 YO tells me, I need to use my "calm voice" more often (I think I have one somewhere in there..)...Even now where I am better for the most part, a lot of the arguing stems from residual stuff and me not "reading the room" very well in terms of her mood (actually this will be a useful skill to have with my DW...). Plus she is 13.. :ROFLMAO:

In terms of you, the guy DD goes to has online instruction too. Might be worth a try for a few lessons to see if it works for you (not necessarily with him, but with somebody you might be able to get to see in person once a month) since you are in the middle of nowhere ;)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Glad I could help.. :ROFLMAO:

I am mostly to blame. As my 5 YO tells me, I need to use my "calm voice" more often (I think I have one somewhere in there..)...Even now where I am better for the most part, a lot of the arguing stems from residual stuff and me not "reading the room" very well in terms of her mood (actually this will be a useful skill to have with my DW...). Plus she is 13.. :ROFLMAO:

In terms of you, the guy DD goes to has online instruction too. Might be worth a try for a few lessons to see if it works for you (not necessarily with him, but with somebody you might be able to get to see in person once a month) since you are in the middle of nowhere ;)
Yeah, mine is 14, apparently I'm yelling even if I'm not, my 11 yr old son confirms this. I'm not a very good listener, I try to fix things, but apparently nobody wants things fixed they just want to "vent". Oh well.

Regarding the hitting, that may be the route to take. Most everything else I've been of some use to her, but hitting hasn't gone well. I told her everyone would be happy if my new title was strictly facilitator, or "he who writes the checks".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez