So, I was walking through the park after practice, and the 10u rec league was playing some games, and I saw this....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
One of the 10u Rec pitchers was wearing one of these... first time I've seen this in FP. It looked a little large for the girl, so I am guessing it was a men's slow pitch helmet. The league requires all players to wear a face mask, but this is a step above...

Over protective 10u parents or future of the game?

1619716200223.png

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I mean, you never know the individual's situation. Maybe the kid has had a concussion from this or another sport. Or maybe a sister who got knocked. Or maybe has some other special physical issue. I try not to read too much into anomalies....maybe if you start seeing it elsewhere it's a "thing".

Oct 4, 2018
Rip It seems like enough to me, and I'm on the conservative side.

I've watched girls take line drive shots to the face with a Rip It on and get up and pitch 2 minutes later.

Dec 2, 2019
Don't over analyze anything you see at rec. I have a girl on 8u rec that her parents didn't even know she was left handed until I told them she throws better left handed. I'm not going to win any parent of the year awards, but at least I know if my kid is right or left handed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Rip It seems like enough to me, and I'm on the conservative side.

I've watched girls take line drive shots to the face with a Rip It on and get up and pitch 2 minutes later.

It doesn't always happen that way. In 12U, my DD hit a P in her Rip-It mask. She was taken to the hospital for stitches and had a minor concussion. The mask definitely saved it from being significantly tragic.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Runners wear helmets and at times the Collision with the defense results in that helmet doing damage.

Helmet could make sense.

From some of the discussions today maybe a super soft softball league needs to be formed. Sponsored by Nerf or something. Hard to hit a homerun. Pitchers will be safer. Don't need to make an adjustment on the field size. Maybe stop wearing protective gear?

Who knows just a thought?

Nov 18, 2013
These actually make a lot more sense than traditional facemasks. At least these would stand a chance at getting NOCSAE certified. My biggest issue with the current masks is the false sense of security. Kids get their bell rung from a line drive and coaches/parents think they’re ok since they had a mask on and let them back on the field without following concussion protocols.

These also prove my point that masks mandaters don’t mean a word of it when they say safety equipment is available, why not use it. If they were sincere all the kids would be wearing these.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA