Some thoughts from the local D1 game I attended today...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
The family and one of my players attended the home opener for my wife's Alma Mater, Canisius College this afternoon. They took on Detroit University. Detroit won the game 11-5.

Game time temp was 47*. It was 32* with the wind chill.

Every Canisius bat was a Demarini. Detroit was a variey of Xeno's, LXT's and Mako's (not the torq).

Glove brands varied. If I was to take a wild guess, I'd tell you A2000's\A2K's and Nokona's were the gloves of choice.

Not one player on either team wore a face mask in the field. It was ~60/40 for girls wearing a face mask on their batting helmet.

The lack of girls wearing batting gloves was astounding to me especially with the temp. A total of 6 players on both sides wore gloves.

If I was to take a guess on pitching speed I'd guess high 50's. There might have been a couple of pitches over 60 mph. All 4 pitchers had good curve balls. I thought all 4 of their change ups were mediocre at best. The 2nd Detroit pitcher was the most effective hitting her spots and mixing speeds well.

More than half of the girls were hitting from an open stance.

Saw a grand slam and another shot to CF. It was cold and the wind was blowing across and slightly in. These were SHOTS! Both came off LXT's.

The ump was giving the river to the pitcher. We sat directly behind home plate and the backstop is pretty short. I had a great view of the plate. Top of the strike zone was the belt.

4 runs in the game were because of wild pitches\passed ball.

I was shocked to see a base runner go 1st to 3rd on a bunt (this was executed 3x's)...2x's it was because 3rd wasn't covered.

Maybe once I thaw out, I'll think of some more...

CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was shocked to see a base runner go 1st to 3rd on a bunt (this was executed 3x's)...2x's it was because 3rd wasn't covered.

CP

Recently saw this at a D3 game. Early in the game with a runner on first, the hitter attempted a bunt, but it went foul (but close enough that it wasn't a given it was going foul). DD was watching and whispered to me "no one is guarding third". Sure enough, a few innings later, the same team pulled it off with a fair bunt. Sorry for the brag post, but I was pretty proud of my HS freshman for picking up on it :)

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
There were plenty of things I saw today that made me think my expectations are too high for my team of '03's...

Just prior to the grand slam...Senior pitcher on the mound, 1 out, runners at 1st and 3rd. Ground ball back to the pitcher, she checks 3rd, hears "2, 2, 2" and throws to 2nd not in time. The pitcher looked like it was her 1st time on the mound. This was easily hit hard enough to be a 1-6-3 double play...

2 pitches later...grand salami!

Bottom half of the inning, 1 out, runner at first (mind you they are down 5 now), shot to CF. Runner never gave the hit a 2nd glance - just took off around 2nd. Great catch by centerfielder who promptly fires it in to the cut off who gets the double play at first. The runner was nowhere close to getting back to the base...I was shocked by this...

CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
While I am a huge fan of I/R pitching and HL hitting mechanics, I do get concerned that some of the other fundamentals of the game are being left behind. Especially the mental aspects. Your recent experience is a good example.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So rankings wise (and nothing against either university as a university - this is just how they are at softball) you are watching the 218th ranked team (Canisius) versus the 282 ranked team (Detroit) - and there is only 295 teams in the rankings.

The bottom end of D1 softball can be pretty messy with teams that just don't have it for a wide variety of reasons (uni doesn't care about softball, poor coaching, poor talent, poor facilities, poor competition, needed a woman's sport so they meet TitleIX requirements, didn't fully fund the team,etc, etc).

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
So rankings wise (and nothing against either university as a university - this is just how they are at softball) you are watching the 218th ranked team (Canisius) versus the 282 ranked team (Detroit) - and there is only 295 teams in the rankings.

The bottom end of D1 softball can be pretty messy with teams that just don't have it for a wide variety of reasons (uni doesn't care about softball, poor coaching, poor talent, poor facilities, poor competition, needed a woman's sport so they meet TitleIX requirements, didn't fully fund the team,etc, etc).

Completely agree with the bottom half of D1 can be messy.

However I will say that if that's what the bottom half looks like consistently then my DD should have an offer to play at one of these schools by now. Because she often makes the same mistakes and would fit right in LOL. Seriously though most of our DD's should be offered if this is what the bottom rung of D1 is like. I live around the MEAC conference schools and it's not much better in the conference that's often considered the worst D1 conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid