Think I got this correct, but it was an interesting play-foot on top of foot leads to out call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2019
10U Rec league NSA

Catcher throws down to third on attempted steal. Third has their foot on nearest third of bag to home, close to corner. Throw pulls her toward the dugout but she caught it and goes to apply tag.

The bad throw actually allowed runner time to beat it by a step but as I see the tag, I see the runner’s foot is squarely on top of the fielder’s foot. 100%, not just toes.

I called her out for not being in contact with the bag when tag was applied. A couple of fans voice their disapproval but base coach says, “He’s right. Her foot is on top of her foot.”

6 years umpiring and this was definitely a first. I feel like I got it right and it wasn’t a case of blocking the bag, as third had their foot just off the front corner and she had ball in her possession, which really renders foot placement moot.

Did I get this weird one correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2013
Runner was not in contact with the base and tagged with a live ball. Out. Every time, every code (except maybe sandlot kickball with "electricity"). Good job.

Oct 24, 2010
No clue about NSA weirdness but did the runner's foot land on the fielder's foot before the fielder had the ball?

Apr 23, 2019
No clue about NSA weirdness but did the runner's foot land on the fielder's foot before the fielder had the ball?

It was probably pretty much simultaneous. Fielder may have had ball in grasp already, as she spun around and applied tag before the runner’s other foot made it to bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28