SnF Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
5, sorry attempt to understand the core movement pattern and you will understand how to whip under as well as over... There has been plenty of discussion in regards within this thread.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Too bad FP is so afraid of barrel movement.

jAEN9T.gif

I agree.

So this is an arm driven movement? As well as these miggy ott movements? Are You saying every hitter should be turning under on every pitch?

Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

I don't think Miggy is Over the Top here. Looks like an inside-in path to me; no unloading of the scap. The other guy does appear to be unloading the scap and casting the barrel OTT.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Sorry, coachbob I disagree. He is working the barrel down to the ball and attempting to do it from within the sagittal plane. I don't see him turning under (supinating I believe is the correct term) into contact.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Sorry, coachbob I disagree. He is working the barrel down to the ball and attempting to do it from within the sagittal plane. I don't see him turning under (supinating I believe is the correct term) into contact.

If the barrel is launched on the sagittal plane, it has to come form the inside, based on torso angle relative to the ball path. Barrel travels from sagittal (around the hand swivel) to transverse in both Miggy swings, with the left swing holding the sag plane longer; right?... Not over the top. The SKLZ fellow is frontal and over the top, outside in; right? there is no hand swivel to get the barrel traveling on the sag plane.

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If the barrel is launched on the sagittal plane, it has to come form the inside, based on torso angle relative to the ball path. Barrel travels from sagittal (around the hand swivel) to transverse in both Miggy swings, with the left swing holding the sag plane longer; right?... Not over the top. The SKLZ fellow is frontal and over the top, outside in; right? there is no hand swivel to get the barrel traveling on the sag plane.

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

I agree the 2 miggy clips he is coming from the inside using the sagittal plane to launch from.. The Evan clip he opens up and sends the barrel down the sagittal plane. I don't see it as around though.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I believe what you are showing here is the dynamic loading towards the start of the forward-by-coiling process.

I am a big fan of such dynamic loading. While Bustos supposedly teaches bend-at-the-waist, soften-the-knees ... what she did in reality was load dynamically, which IMO is superior to what she taught.

2q9c1zd.gif

Five after you teach all your hitters dynamic loading, do you go right into this? Baby stretch?
Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing
In some of my hitting sessions I’ll teach it this way ….. Baby Stretch, Extra Stretch, Turn the barrel against the Extra Stretch.

Step 1 …. Baby stretch.

As the COM is brought forward (preferably FbC)…. Either with a physical stride or without a stride, …. towards what is commonly referred to as the ‘launch position’, …… I’ll ask a hitter to focus on the ‘feel’ of a ‘baby stretch’. The ‘baby stretch’ is felt along the rear hip to rear shoulder. It will have the feel as if the muscles along the rearside have been somewhat elongated/stretched. This is the 'baby stretch'.

Step 2 …. Extra stretch.
From the ‘launch position’ the rear leg will in a sense turn inward. This creates the ‘Extra Stretch’ …. If you pause immediately after this, what 'was' the ‘baby stretch’ will become highly intensified. In a sense you have dynamically increased the 'stretch'.

Step3 …. Turn the barrel against the stretch.

As you turn the barrel against the ‘Extra Stretch’, the stretch will become even more intensified ... another dynamic building of the stretch. The barrel will in a sense be fired along its swing arc …. for some it is the feel of finding themselves able to get on balls that at first they couldn’t imagine getting to.

Five
You claim to teach better than Bustos, so to sum it up.

Dynamic loading
Baby stretch
Extra Stretch
Turn the barrel

Is this done on one leg or two?
Does it put your hitters in the MLB pattern? Matching the Hanson principle?

SL

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2015
I agree the 2 miggy clips he is coming from the inside using the sagittal plane to launch from.. The Evan clip he opens up and sends the barrel down the sagittal plane. I don't see it as around though.

Nice gif here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG