Slow Pitcher...and the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

I don't think that posters are being realistic about how hard it is to change your timing during brief at bats, especially for kids. If you see only a few pitches before you get behind, well all that is out the window.

If you want quick results (esp the first at bat or after not doing well), you have to move in the box. It is an easy fix that works. I see adults yelling at the kids to change their timing and it rarely works. Just creates anxiety. That is OK with me, because my team will beat you by moving in the box.

Now if you have lots of at bats at various speeds, then go for it. But kids typically do not do this sort of practice. By this I mean going back and forth in the at bats, 2 pitching machines or a pitcher who throws change ups. Alternatively, sessions at each speed during the same practice. I never see this.

Disagree 110 percent.
We use these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGfcSGX28QY
They are glorified medium sized coffee can lids.
It's is extremely easy to throw change-ups with these.

We almost never use a pitching machine anymore (It's been about2 1/2 years).

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't Move in the Box Unless...

Assuming a regular stance in the middle of the box (i.e., back foot even w/ the back corner of the plate), you can move approx. 2 feet forward or 2 feet backward and still maintain a legal swing. Well, a 2 ft change over a 43 distance represents a 4.6% difference. Well, when considering this from a velocity standpoint, a 4.6% increase or decrease in speed is relatively minor e.g., 55 mph +/- 4.6% = 52.8 to 57.6 mph. When players have difficulty hitting a slow pitcher I can guarantee you its because the difference from what they're used to is a lot more than only 2 or 3 mph! So, if you need to adjust to a slow pitcher, moving fwd in the box to the pitcher does NOT solve the problem, rather it compounds the issue becasue you not only are a) in a position where you have less experience just pitch height and b) YOU STILL HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR TIMING!!! Moral of the story, to adjust to a slow pitcher don't move up in the box unless you want to re-enact scenes with crazy Charlie Sheen.

Mar 8, 2012
If its slow enough that the ball is starting to drop significantly at the plate, then I believe move up. Generally I've this at 12u and below.

Regardless of my above statement and as Greenmonsters pointed out, everyone needs to be able to adjust their timing to match. Just when the ball is dropping significantly move up to eliminate that factor.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I agree. I never see MLB players move around in the box or change bats,etc., when facing various pitchers. Just how slow are we talking? My DD was considered slow at 54 mph. After she would beat a team I would hear them complain that they couldn't hit the slow pitching. I have a pretty good student on a rec ball and you should hear the coaches yelling "move back in the box." To us, that sounds like "we can't hit."

Rod Carew did all the time. He thought it was wrong to not adjust to the different styles of pitchers. Different bats, different stances, different swings.

But he could do it, not everyone can.

Mar 6, 2009
One of the things to remember is to make sure the players are focused on making the pitcher work. They need to focus on still hitting "their" pitch and not a the pitcher's pitch. Yes... we can all "hit" a low and away pitch that is a borderline strike, but can we hit the ball with authority? Moving around in the box etc IMHO is now putting more power into the pitcher's hand. Be picky, it isn't like she is going to throw something unexpected or will fool a batter. Force her into 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 counts.. then have fun smashing the ball all over the place. If you are getting out because she is slow, it is because of the lack of focus and what the game is about between a pitcher and batter.

Bill

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Slow Pitcher...and the batter is way ahead of the pitch...

This sounded to me like young kids, not kids who are sophisticated enough to adjust their timing. if they were, you wouldn't have to tell them what they need to do.

If you're working with kids who can adjust their point of contact to hit to different fields, then I would say it's merely a timing thing.
if you are working with kids who it's a question of whether they just make contact or not, I'd say move in the box as needed.

if it's somewhere in between- use your best judgement. remember you want to empower the hitter, not intimidate.

Oct 25, 2009
This is funny sometimes. You have coaches that drill into the batters' heads to hit the ball in front of the plate. Then, in a game, they'll move them way back or way up front.

Moving up or back does have some advantages in some situations. Kind of a batter's tool for throwing the pitcher off like the pitcher does to the batter with their various pitches.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is funny sometimes. You have coaches that drill into the batters' heads to hit the ball in front of the plate. Then, in a game, they'll move them way back or way up front.

Moving up or back does have some advantages in some situations. Kind of a batter's tool for throwing the pitcher off like the pitcher does to the batter with their various pitches.

Disagree strongly. If a pitcher makes a batter move in the box, the pitcher wins every time. Why? Because they can change what they are doing and take advantage of the situation and/or make the hitter move again i.e., it allows the pitcher to dictate the situation

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Move up in the box and teach the girls to wait on their swing and try to hit the ball to right field.

T

theaddition

Disagree strongly. If a pitcher makes a batter move in the box, the pitcher wins every time. Why? Because they can change what they are doing and take advantage of the situation and/or make the hitter move again i.e., it allows the pitcher to dictate the situation

Well said.

I agree 110%.

One could say that a pitcher that dictates the at bat causes the hitter to hit from their "heels".

It's not a real big issue at younger age levels, but at 16U and up, the hitters who relied upon moving around in the box
for timing usually are doomed. That has been my experince over the last 5 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish