Slow Pitcher...and the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
is way ahead of the pitch...
do you:
1) Move up inb the box towards the pitcher or
2) Move back in the box towards the catcher

Jun 20, 2008
is way ahead of the pitch...
do you:
1) Move up inb the box towards the pitcher or
2) Move back in the box towards the catcher

I don't think there can be a hard fast rule I believe it depends on the batter, some like my oldest DD like to adjust without moving, some like my youngest DD move all the way up and some like to move back and get a longer look at the ball, I have to admitt that the moving back would not work for me, but it works for many...

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I say move forward or if comfortable do a slap hit. Seems the slow pitches give hitters that do not slap hit well a better chance to figure out the mechanics of this style hit.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I second what Screwball said. a slow pitch with a significant arc is a different animal altogether. batters don't know how to hit them and umpires don't know how to call them.

we used to face a pitcher (U12) that threw almost a slowpitch lob- couldn't quite figure out where to have them stand. we figured out that before those games we would do soft toss where we lobbed the ball so the batter had to watch it and hit it on the way down.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I agree with fourts,stay in the same spot,fast or slow,you need to learn how to time the pitch.I dont have my dd move around in the box,moving up or back or all around in the batters box is a band aid.If you do the samething every time the sameway it becomes in grained in your memory.So now if you are playing on your home field or a field half way across the country,it feels the same,familiar to you anywhere you play.The pitchers job is to mess up your timing,why help them out moving around?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree. I never see MLB players move around in the box or change bats,etc., when facing various pitchers. Just how slow are we talking? My DD was considered slow at 54 mph. After she would beat a team I would hear them complain that they couldn't hit the slow pitching. I have a pretty good student on a rec ball and you should hear the coaches yelling "move back in the box." To us, that sounds like "we can't hit."

T

theaddition

Stay in the same position as normal and adjust your swing timing to the pitcher!

I agree. One might also try loading a little bigger and slower.

As a wise coach once told told us at a clinic:
"don't expect to do it in a game if you haven't practiced it ."

How many practice hitting slow pitches?

We have. it's not that troublesome if you have the player put the time in.

Jan 25, 2011
screwball,I guess I didnt see what age the poster was talking about.I dont disagree with you ,but cant agree with you either.If we are talking about 14u and above if you are having your girls move all around,that would be okay with me,we will beat you,by not moving around in the box.This could start another thread,but at what age do we stop,putting band aids on these problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028