Slash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
When the other team starts throwing at your batters heads and sliding into bases cleats up will the thought be that YOU were putting your girls at risk......YOU were coaching them to try to hit line drives at 8-10 yr olds 10 ft away? It's all part of the game right?

May 20, 2015
When your players to fake bunt/swing, you want the defense to stay put? I cry bull****! You want them to rush in. Otherwise you wouldn't do it. You're doing it so that 9-10yr olds rush in so that your batter can take a crack at the ball. Therefore, you are part of putting the girls at risk. When one of them takes a ball to the head, or anywhere else on the body for that matter, and they are lying on the ground is your response going to be, "They were improperly coached. That's not my fault!"?

Remember, they are still kids. There is no reason to put them at risk for the big W at 10U. That's only for your own ego.

um, no......that's exactly what they did, was stay home....they stopped charging

we had one pitch where the 3rd baseman literally ended up 4' from the plate before the pitch got there......after one pull back they were staying home......

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I have never heard this term - slash. Is it state by state?

Square to show the bunt, then pull back (during the pitcher's delivery) and swing away. "Slash" is the only term I've ever used for it.

I called this play in a 12U PONY tournament earlier this season and the batter singled through the SS hole. The fans on the other team were screaming that it was against the rules. It used to be, in Little League, but has not been for several years. As far as I'm aware, it's legal in all sanctioning bodies at all ages. Maybe not in town tournaments.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
There is a much safer way to accomplish your goal: Don't show bunt so early. I don't like the play, as it does put girls at risk of injury all for the sake of winning a game. I have never been a proponent of the phrase "it's part of the game". Like a poster above said, so is throwing a pitch at your head, and coming in to second with my spikes up, but most like to avoid that as well. Just my 2 cents.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have never heard this term - slash. Is it state by state?

Slash, slug bunt, fake bunt and hit away. Played a team that was very good at it early this year. They could start to bunt late enough to get our corners crashing hard then get their hands back enough to smack the ball. Pretty tough to play against, unfortunately for them, the dinger is impossible to play against.

About 3 years ago I saw a 3rd basemen take a line drive square into the forehead from the play. She was put on a stretcher and taken away by paramedics. I think it was a 12u game.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
While 10U is pretty young to start learning this stuff it has to be part of what is taught about when as a 1B or 3B you crash, you have to see the pitcher out of your peripheral vision to know where in her delivery she is and when the batter slides her hand either up or down the bat, stay on the balls of your feet creep if it's a bunt situation and it looks like she is bunting once you know the ball is being delivered and the batter can't change her mind charge. You can't just mindlessly charge if the batter squares while the pitcher has not started her windup.

Jun 11, 2013
We played a team this weekend who put their corners in 30 feet from the batter the whole game. Is it OK for my hitters to hit down the lines or should we only hit up the middle because this jerk coach wants to take away the bunt. If you think it's OK to sprint at a batter during a pitch to take away the bunt then it's OK for them to Slash. If you want to make the slash illegal then you have to make a point that the field has to stay behind until the ball is pitched. No one has any desire to see anyone get hurt. I was scare to death every time DD got up this weekend that she would hit one of the corners(not slashing). She did hit fist baseman on the knee but at least it was only one. If we are playing a team that just crushes the ball we'll move our corners back. I would rather give up a bunt single rather than get one of my kids hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA