Slash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
if this has been beat to death, let me know.....

we caught flack yesterday for slashing....finals of a 10u travel tournament (we lost 4-2)

other team was crashing HARD every bunt.....they were at times ending up 5-6' from the box by the time the pitch got there

top 5, we slashed out lead off hitter.....she slid one past the pitcher and charging 1b.....no one covering 1st......2 pitches later, my DD drove a double to RF and we were in business

my #3 then slashed and stroked a triple......we find it is helping her timimng a ton

long story short, it slowed their crash, made them think, put them on their heals, AND got us going

their coaches were not happy......we were "putting their girls at risk"

on the contrary, my thought is THEY were putting their girls at risk......THEY were coaching them to crash hard & fast at the moment the batter squared

we on the other hand have our girls creep and wait until they are positive the bunt is staying on.....we find they do better when the play is in front of them, they don't run by bunts/overrun them....they are calmer with their throws, nothing feels rushed...AND they aren't at risk from the slash (any more than any other time)

they were not happy......i say play softball

what say the crowd?

for the record.....we covered 100% of our bunts for outs this weekend ;)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I am in the minority but I do not like that play until 12 or 14U. I was unsuccessful getting a local rule about it. Is it OK in 8U? Sure, I play softball! 6U, dang right run them over it is a contact sport and teach them to get the call.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This is our slash defense after an attempted slash or second time through the order.
norichika-aoki-drilled-by-catcher-b.gif

Just kidding…but know a few of girls (3rd base) gets very upset and I would guess the level of contact will be raised and low line drives up the middle will become a goal.

Haven't seen a slash/slug bunt at the NCAA or MLB level this year.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
we on the other hand have our girls creep and wait until they are positive the bunt is staying on.....we find they do better when the play is in front of them, they don't run by bunts/overrun them....they are calmer with their throws, nothing feels rushed...AND they aren't at risk from the slash (any more than any other time)

How do you prepare your pitcher to field this play? Not a loaded question, just asking.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Personally I dont see the point in teaching a 10u team how to do this but at the same time its part of the game. Its not illegal so keeping doing what your doing.

May 20, 2015
So by asking your batter to do this, what are you hoping the defense does?

slow down their charge....keeps them home, makes them 2nd guess.....forces them to think, takes them out of their normal routine, which generally is not a good thing

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
slow down their charge....keeps them home, makes them 2nd guess.....forces them to think, takes them out of their normal routine, which generally is not a good thing

When your players to fake bunt/swing, you want the defense to stay put? I cry bull****! You want them to rush in. Otherwise you wouldn't do it. You're doing it so that 9-10yr olds rush in so that your batter can take a crack at the ball. Therefore, you are part of putting the girls at risk. When one of them takes a ball to the head, or anywhere else on the body for that matter, and they are lying on the ground is your response going to be, "They were improperly coached. That's not my fault!"?

Remember, they are still kids. There is no reason to put them at risk for the big W at 10U. That's only for your own ego.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The whole purpose for the slash is to catch the middle infield abandoning their positions to cover first and third base. The batter then tries to hit the ball into the gaps.

Anybody who thinks that a coach who calls a slash is trying to hurt the other team's players is delusional.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee