Slash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
Part of my problem at 10U is that I have 12 players playing 3rd base, not just a couple and not consistently.

agreed with rec....our rec team is still worrying about swinging the bats and catching the ball.....we don't bunt much if at all

travel is different....at least for us

Jun 11, 2013
The conversation is about 10U little girls and not 16U young women. Big difference in the skill, awareness and ability to get back if the batter squares up.

Not really, this is the second go round on this topic where some have said lets make it illegal.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
if you don't crash your corners in recklessly, much less of an issue, isn't it?

16U. Some low 60s pitches. Some extremely fast runners. Some of these girls are more than 3/4 to first before the ball is touched. IMO see bunt and you crash....with all you have. That said, I just have seen very very few slashers. Just doesn't happen very often.

Jan 23, 2014
The problem shouldn't even be with the slash, it should be with the ridiculous crash. We played in an open tournament. One A team. 10u. This team signed up last minute for a tournament with 2 B teams and a c team- but that's a different topic. Anywho. This team was overly aggressive. Their corners crashed like crazy-no masks. They crashed on girls they apparently assumed were going to bunt. No bunt was shown before they crashed. Thet simply crashed on the small girls. I don't know if the coaches were communicating to them at the at bat or if that's how they were trained. A couple of those girls can really get a hold of a ball, and from 20 ft it would have been horrible. I don't know what those coaches were doing, but it was plain stupid.

Sep 17, 2009
What's the difference between slash from the right side and a lefty slapper who makes a late decision whether to bunt or slap (power slap)? Both can be dangerous if the defense isn't smart about how they attack it...

Jun 7, 2013
Obviously, we are not going to come to universal agreement on this subject nor are we going to get some new rule passed. Thereby, it comes down to individual decisions. Mine is that at the low levels I do not "slash" because it is a safety issue. Even though it is obnoxious for a fielder to be 10' away on a bunt I am not going to try to teach a 10U, 12U, or 14U player a lesson, especially when it's the coach that needs the education. At 16U and above, you can hope that the girls have better knowledge, quicker reflexes, and are wearing a face mask.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA