Slash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
we wanted to bunt.....with forced continuous batting order even in the championship, we had girls that were overmatched and needed them to bunt......this wasn't to get anyone out of position, but to try and keep their corners honest to keep the bunt in the game

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
When I saw this tactic it didn't make a difference if teams were crashing too hard or not. It was always at the B or rec level and the intent was to trick an inexperienced player into getting her out of position. It had nothing to do with reacting to not being able to bunt because the other team was taking it away. Part of the game, yes, but so is throwing high and inside to stop them. Is that really how we want to play at 10U?
There are a lot of tactics used to get inexperienced players out of position. Should we not use them because girls will feel bad? How will players get experience without seeing various situations? I don't really see this as tactic to try to get someone hurt, but rather a tactic to get the defense out of position to open holes to hit.

And if it is good for one level of play, why wouldn't be good for all levels of play? I can understand not wanting it at a rec level but beyond that it is part of softball, girls should learn how to handle it.

And are you really suggesting intentionally throwing at someone to counter the move? Is so that's kind of sad. If you are teaching your pitchers the best way to counter that it to throw inside just over the hands, sure that's fine, that may be the best way to pitch someone trying to do that. Hard to get the bat back and still get to the high inside fast ball. Sounds like that would be a teaching moment for how to react to what the other team is trying to do.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
There are a lot of tactics used to get inexperienced players out of position. Should we not use them because girls will feel bad? How will players get experience without seeing various situations? I don't really see this as tactic to try to get someone hurt, but rather a tactic to get the defense out of position to open holes to hit.

And if it is good for one level of play, why wouldn't be good for all levels of play? I can understand not wanting it at a rec level but beyond that it is part of softball, girls should learn how to handle it.

And are you really suggesting intentionally throwing at someone to counter the move? Is so that's kind of sad. If you are teaching your pitchers the best way to counter that it to throw inside just over the hands, sure that's fine, that may be the best way to pitch someone trying to do that. Hard to get the bat back and still get to the high inside fast ball. Sounds like that would be a teaching moment for how to react to what the other team is trying to do.

The practice of a Safety in football launching himslef at a receiver is not intended to harm anyone either. It is done with the intention of dislodging the ball, however the NFL has deemd that action as unsafe, and there is a severe penalty for doing so. It was "just part of the game" for ever, and now it's not.

Bottom line is, some people like doing it and will continue to do so. We all have our opinions on the issue, and I don't feel that there needs to be a rule change. I will just know what kind of coach I am up against, and will adjust accordingly. I would just prefer that this were one of those unwritten rules that every good coach followed for the safety of all involved.

Jun 11, 2013
Why not just make bunting illegal if you care about safety? having little girls standing 35 feet away from a 14U or 16U hitter is all caused by the potential bunt. I would guess that would save more injuries versus the occasional bunt. If you are going to allow bunting you have to allow slashing in my opinion.

Nov 18, 2013

I didn't reference anything about feeling bad. My only issue is you're putting inexperienced 10U fielders at risk. Was the number of hit batsman at the WCWS kind of sad? I'm just saying save the things that can injure girls until they've develpped the skills to protect themselves. "Part of the game" is no excuse for doing it at 10U.

Last edited:
So, if I play my corners at 20 ft all the time, some of you wouldn't let your girls swing? I know that's extreme, but you can't make the other team play how you want them to.

Originally had "would let". Kind of changes the question, huh? :D
Heck, all of my girls would go into full swing mode, even the slappers. I wouldn't even have to tell them to do it, either.

Nov 18, 2013
Why not just make bunting illegal if you care about safety? having little girls standing 35 feet away from a 14U or 16U hitter is all caused by the potential bunt. I would guess that would save more injuries versus the occasional bunt. If you are going to allow bunting you have to allow slashing in my opinion.

The conversation is about 10U little girls and not 16U young women. Big difference in the skill, awareness and ability to get back if the batter squares up.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I didn't reference anything about feeling bad. My only issue is you're putting inexperienced 10U fielders at risk. Was the number of hit batsman at the WCWS kind of sad? I'm just saying save the things that can injure girls until they've develpped the skills to protect themselves. "Part of the game" is no excuse for doing it at 10U.

Part of this is playing at the appropriate skill level. I want my corners charging hard on a bunt to take it away, but I would never put a kid who could not protect herself there. Both parents and coaches need to have some common sense when it comes to safety. I tell my players this is a contact sport, just not necessarily body to body contact.

May 20, 2015
The conversation is about 10U little girls and not 16U young women. Big difference in the skill, awareness and ability to get back if the batter squares up.

if you don't crash your corners in recklessly, much less of an issue, isn't it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA