Side by side images

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
FFS, it may be the video quality, but she has been instructed to use a box knuckle grip. DD's bottom hand grip was an issue in the beginning. In her grip, the back of her hand would roll around to where her wrist was bent down like a follow through shooting bball. She developed that rolling of the hands ritual to get the bat out of her palms and bottom hand in proper position.

Thanks Phreak. She has made some improvement over the past month. Right now DD has no stretch which is probably one of the reasons she doesn't / can't lead with her hips.

Oct 25, 2009
FFS, it may be the video quality, but she has been instructed to use a box knuckle grip. DD's bottom hand grip was an issue in the beginning. In her grip, the back of her hand would roll around to where her wrist was bent down like a follow through shooting bball. She developed that rolling of the hands ritual to get the bat out of her palms and bottom hand in proper position.

Thanks Phreak. She has made some improvement over the past month. Right now DD has no stretch which is probably one of the reasons she doesn't / can't lead with her hips.

Adding the stretch will help with some of what FFS is talking about. As far as the hip leading that's a matter of her choosing to do it until it's a habit.

One other thing I suggest is to "slow herself down" until she fires the bat. Everything before swinging should feel almost effortless. Controlled. Think in terms of glide instead of stride; toe touch, instead of step.

Have her come to toe touch twice before swinging, as a drill, and feel the powerful position she will be in at launch position. It should look like a powerful throwing position.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

I agree with FFS's post #69. The sequence trumps everything. When I teach kids to throw overhand, I teach them to "break-their-hands" as they stride. The sequence in hitting is similar. Obviously the bottom hand restricts the movement of the back arm when hitting. But the "under-the-hood" feel is similar.

Here is Finch illustrating a pretty decent sequence.

z30nl.gif

When your DD figures out how to work her back arm correctly, the hips will lead automatically. The hips leading should be a no teach. Watch Pujols' back elbow in this clip. (Finch comes sorta close to doing the same thing, although it could be better). Notice how Pujols' back elbow begins to lower at the same time as his hips begin to turn forward. Even though the back elbow and hips start at about the same time, Pujols works his elbow underneath his hands similar to the sidearm throw, giving his hips time to get out in front.

210f195.jpg

Can you ever recall thinking about your hips leading when throwing a ball sidearm? I never have. The reason we don't think about it is because the back arm naturally works underneath the hand when throwing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I'd have to see what you meant by the bottom hand wrist being bent down ... that may have actually been correct.

Do you see how your daughter loads her upper body here ......

122c70z.gif

That is completely out of sequence, and it leads to this all-back together move ....

2a9v30m.gif

Suggestion ... have your daughter load her lower body, followed by loading her upper body. A cue for her that may help would be "load the lower, then the upper" .... another would be "load the upper after the lower" ... or "load the hands late" .... I think you get the idea.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Adding the stretch will help with some of what FFS is talking about. As far as the hip leading that's a matter of her choosing to do it until it's a habit.

One other thing I suggest is to "slow herself down" until she fires the bat. Everything before swinging should feel almost effortless. Controlled. Think in terms of glide instead of stride; toe touch, instead of step.

Have her come to toe touch twice before swinging, as a drill, and feel the powerful position she will be in at launch position. It should look like a powerful throwing position.

It will be very difficult for this young lady to develop proper, well-timed stretch, until she cleans up her sequence.

Simply forcing the hips to rotate ahead will have her struggling for years without success. Yet, with a proper sequence that leads to Stretch-and-Fire, it will occur without conscious effort.

There are a host of other issues with this swing ... but attacking them without first cleaning up the sequence would be a large and frustrating effort for the individual involved and for the instructor.

Jan 18, 2011
I have a quick question on Stretch, aka coil-STRETCH-fire. Where should this stretch be felt. When you stretch you fell tension, where is the tension felt in the stretch? Thanks.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thank you all. FFS, DD had been taught to swing from a static position, pre loaded so to speak. I will have to work this out of her. As for the hands, DD was gripping the bat with the back of the bottom hand facing away from her, wrist bent down and locked. The back of the bottom hand was lined up with the box of the top hand. I can take a photo if this doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Wow…what a crock FFS.

I hope the 17 girls I worked with twice last week aren't all screwed up for the next fews years...when I get home. That would be a lot of angry parents.

Unbelievable.

Jdaddy…I will explain privately what I see…and I will send you a video that shows the progression…so you can see. It will cover everything about the progression… to the their tendencies at each stage…the corrections and why. When you watch girls bat from there…you will learn a lot. It will explain and show you why we do it that way and I will show you what we do with some simple drills and why…so you will see the whole process of working the gross movement patters of the swing ..then the finer movement patterns of coil…to stretch.

If the video does not make sense or doesn't bring it together for you…throw it away…and proclaim me a booby. If it helps you…help some other girl that loves softball but will never have the opportunity to take hitting lessons from anyone….after you have learned it.

Check your pm. I will also give you more personal information about myself.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wow…what a crock FFS.

I hope the 17 girls I worked with twice last week aren't all screwed up for the next fews years...when I get home. That would be a lot of angry parents.

Unbelievable.

Jdaddy…I will explain privately what I see…and I will send you a video that shows the progression…so you can see. It will cover everything about the progression… to the their tendencies at each stage…the corrections and why. When you watch girls bat from there…you will learn a lot. It will explain and show you why we do it that way and I will show you what we do with some simple drills and why…so you will see the whole process of working the gross movement patters of the swing ..then the finer movement patterns of coil…to stretch.

If the video does not make sense or doesn't bring it together for you…throw it away…and proclaim me a booby. If it helps you…help some other girl that loves softball but will never have the opportunity to take hitting lessons from anyone….after you have learned it.

Check your pm. I will also give you more personal information about myself.

A crock? Hardly Bobbyb. The kid's sequence is limiting her significantly.

Why the need to explain things privately? If your material is good then you shouldn't have a concern describing it on an open forum.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
IMO her hips need to go forward when her hands are going back, the load needs to be to the inside of her rear leg, knee and hip not over top of it...IMO the sequence of and the all back and all forward motion of that swing, entirely take the legs and lower half of the body out of the swing... IMO if you are comparing it to throwing you can not even throw well from that load...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA