Side by side images

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I would like for someone to post some side by side images of my DD and Benyi if you have the time. I videoed DD's swing for the first time today and I believe the visual would be very beneficial to us both. Opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.[video]http://youtu.be/xNMR649Kwek[/video]

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Here you go. I love the attitude she shows in the video! She's mentally ready to go!

Remember…the camera angle on Caitlin is more forward than the side view of your dd. I have only worked with one team of girls this young for one summer and we didn't study them much…they were all beginners.

I suspect there are some things that are expected with younger girls due to strength. Maybe someone that works with younger ones can tell us any reoccurring patterns in regards to their swing/strength and development.

There are two things you should be able to work on that can help now.
She seems to give a good effort to coil, maintain coil during stride and firing the rear hip.

kenz2012.png

The circle in pic 1/load.
On load you can see that her foot is pointed to catcher and knee is over foot…probably feels weight on all of the foot and heel.

Since it is first… a stance issue…just have her always point the foot perpendicular to the plate or very slightly turn inward rather than outward and keep knee inside of rear foot and she should feel weight on front inside of rear foot even at load. Keep her coil though…that looks good! This will help her transition better into launch.

Pic 2/launch. You can see drops hands/bat early as you see in the launch position and loses her tilt. She has the strength to control the hands/bat in the stance and load… so she can handle the bat in the launch position better than she does here. Have her feel a good launch position here.

You see where Caitlin is pointing foot here and we are viewing her more from the front…thats a big difference in how the hips work. Having corrected the stance/load rear foot position…her hips will feel more free and correct now at this position.

Pic 3. Notice dd's body angle and front leg compared to Caitlin…Look at the end of her full swing below. She gets to the angle later…is it because of the bat momentum lifting her some or strength? Not sure..I would initially think about it as…inability of the hips to uncoil properly from the above phases.

I would work on the first 2 things and see where she is at ideal impact after that.
You can read MTS/FFS on the transitions/cues etc... in the other post.
Phases
kenz2012phase.gif
CaitlinBenji3phase.gif

Full Swing
kenz2012full.gif

Keep us informed…it will be interesting.
Tell her to keep it up…overall she is looking good!
Happy New Year to all!

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Boobyb. I appreciate you doing this so fast and on New Years Eve! It is interesting to watch the first video of DD. There is so much you miss with the naked eye. Fixing stance will be easy and I believe the hand path shouldn't be too difficult a fix either. If I can get her to leave her hands "on the shelf" I think it will help. The funny thing was when I told DD (she turned 10 in Spt.) we were going to video her swing, She said "will I be on Youtube?!!" Thanks again and I will try to post a new video soon.

Feb 14, 2010
Jdaddy,

She's not coiling, she's just weighting the back leg, huge difference. Using the upper body to initiate the swing, because there is nothing in the lower half. Work on the lower half and I would tell her to fuse the hands to her rear shoulder to keep her from dropping so badly.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Crankermo. We are just beginning the process. Her former coach wanted the girls to keep feet stationary and start the swingfrom the launch position. DD just became a robot at the plate and power suffered. I have spent the past six months reading and learning as much as possible here, until I had a grasp of what swing we wanted to accomplish. DD has only swung the bat twice since fall ended. I was hoping to start fresh and give her muscle memory time to unlearn what she had been taught. I am a firm believer in the "Hanson Principle" and I figured DD being able to start with a good visual comparison was the way to go. I will continue to post our progress, and hope you and others will continue to help. BTW, your DD has a nice swing!

Feb 14, 2010
J,

Thank you for the nice words. My DD looked very similar to your DD @ that age, so you guys can do it. I took it extremely slow with my DD and focused one part of the swing @ a time. You have A LOT of time, so remain patient. Great info on this site, use it wisely. I look forward to wathing your progress, I know you will get it done.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Your welcome Jdaddy... I am a wild man on News Year Eve Night! NOT! :) I am a home body...and girls have their BF over and we play a few games and eat good...so my pleasure doing it for you.

It definitely is hard to see a full swing with the eye ball and pick everything up without video and pictures. One thing I do to try and help that (because I ain't videoing every practice, unless this new ipad2 speeds things up) is watch lower body one swing, middle body next swing and then upper body. Still get surprised at times by video on what i miss though.

She's not coiling, she's just weighting the back leg, huge difference.
Yes..yet if she leaves everything else alone and just turns rear foot/knee in the launch position...she will be coiled.

Feb 14, 2010
Yes..yet if she leaves everything else alone and just turns rear foot/knee in the launch position...she will be coiled.

Bobby,

She needs to use the hips to coil, the feet/knee have nothing to do with proper coiling. Just watch the rear hip and it's action on high level swings, tells you everything. One of the best training tools for kids is to learn " The Move", it helps create a feel but it's not coiliing per say because the focus is on the foot, just helps kids get " a feel". We used it for my DD and then evolved her coil from there. Now we are working on smoothing everything out.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I think your misinterpreting what I am saying. You also may be missing a simple quick fix to have her in a good coiled position without changing a bunch of things.

Yes... the coil is about the rear hip motion.

In a weight bearing position....Can you change your rear leg (internally or externally) and knee position without affecting the Hip Socket? Can you move your foot and not affect your knee?

She already has anterior pelvic tilt with the pelvic girdle rotating rearward...(notice front legs knee and foot...its an good indication of what her pelvis is doing)....on a external rotated rear leg, knee,foot which you called weighting the back leg.

What will happen when she turns the foot and knee perpendicular to the plate?
Answer..her hip will be coiled if she keeps everything else the same.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
Bobby,

Guess we are just going to agree to disagree. Doing what she does in the gif you posted along with your advice on the foot and knee that feel is nothing like what I've taught my daughter. Sure there is pressure being built, but IMO it's not a coil. What I believe you are advocating is the "move" and I agree that's a great place for anyone to start, that's where my DD and I started and it worked great, but it's not the high level coil. If that's not what you are trying say I aoplogize.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA