Side Arm Solutions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2011
Warning, I am long winded! I've posted here previously concerning my DD side arm issue. You can see the thread here:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5674-give-up-fast-ball.html#post57674

We did change Pitching Instructors with the blessings of the previous one. They were very gracious and pointed out that perhaps my DD was at a point where she would benefit from more intensive (personalized) coaching and that they wanted what was best for my DD.

While I really like the new instructor and facilities (indoors and they provide a catcher!) I have grown a little impatient with the minimal focus on correcting the side arm motion. There have been alot of positive changes to her foot position, what the pivot foot should be doing, the overall timing of the pitch (arms n legs), hip position and many other points that do not include the bent arm and imperfect circle. And yes, I did emphasis that the side arm was my biggest concern at the very first lesson.

It became obvious to me the the coach wasn't seeing the side arm. My DD does it in various degrees so sometimes it isn't obvious. And every so often she doesn't do it at all. To me it is always glaringly obvious so I've tried to be patient and go with the flow because, after all, I am not the professional. I did finally address it with the PC, showed them a video I took from an especially aggravating (for me) lesson a few weeks prior. The PC was very positive and encouraged me to give her feedback and agreed to be more aggressive about pointing out when the arm was incorrect. The observations aren't as aggressive and frequent as I would like but it is a start.

The lessons are 30 minutes long so there is only so much one can accomplish. My DD is great about making changes to her foot position, tweeking timing or body position and can repeat these changes consistently with only minimal effort. She can make several minor changes in one lesson and keep them until another adjustment is made. But get her to keep her arm longer or draw a circle on a chalk board with the ball as she pitches seems to be beyond her ability to control. The arm does what the arm wants to do.

I have started to catch her every day doing snaps and arm circle drills (no stride) at home. We've slowed the mechanics down, incorporated weighted balls and slowly increased the repetitions and speed. Some of the things we do, like change in speed or a pause (while counting out loud or saying a silly phrase) at the close are simply exercises help her concentrate and focus on each stage of her motion (to help her to learn to isolate something specific which she is doing with her body). I am starting to see a decrease in the angle of her arm bend 95% of the time and she is able to control it if we speed the arm up. I am encouraged, but it all goes to heck when she does a full rotation with her arms as in a full pitch or walk through. It's as if the brain has no recognition of what the arm is doing (or if it is even there).

We have the Xcelerator. She does repetitions with them everyday, the arm circles look great and she even remarked how in the beginning it really worked muscles she didn't know she had. She's done the circles with the ball against the wall (but isn't this basically the same thing as the Xcelerator?). I made a noodle helmet which has really helped to show her how far over her head she was taking the ball and now this problem too is starting to fade.

I have even made a Perfect Circle Aid ($4 and 15 minutes). My DD is able to keep her arm long and sweep it doing snaps and stationary circles but once she is in full forward motion doing a walk through or actual pitch she can sweep the tab on the down swing and upswing but then completely misses it at the release point 90% of the time. Arm Bent.

Am I being too impatient? The senior PC at our new facility unsympathetically commented that this problem may never be solved. The coach's wife has made the same remark. The PC seems to me (and I may be just a little too sensitive about it at this point) a little less then positive that it can be corrected and suggested teaching her a drop peel (but isn't this just giving up on the fastball? grrrrr). I've had a heart to heart with my DD and asked if she want to continue pitching (told her if she didn't I would support her) and she says she does want to continue, but even she is becoming distressed over something she doesn't seem to be able to correct. I am very frustrated for her.

We haven't done the mirror drill yet. We have space issues at the moment. I did run across the tarp drill which is a do-able thing in our yard once I can put up a backstop so we don't have to retrieve ball from the neighbor's yard or pay for broken windows. Is there a video of how to do this drill safely and correctly? Would a semi ridgid arm sleeve that limits the bend of the arm be helpful to changing muscle memory?

The one thing that most everyone suggests for immediate and impressionable feedback is the pitching against the fence. And that a chain link fence is the best. Do any of you recommend this as a last alternative?

Sorry I don't have a current videos. Thanks in advance for your advice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Your DD is going to have to correct her sidearm herself. It is too bad that it has went on so long, but it has. I work and work with a young lady and show her everything that you have mentioned, and she continues to pitch the way she is used to.

I think that you have given her every opportunity to correct the side arm and now it is up to her. It may take her an hour a day for 100 days, to correct this. If she wants to put the time in, she will be successful. As I recall, she looks like a very athletic young lady.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Your girl is 13 right? The fastball is going to go away sooner then later anyway. Try the peel drop, if it works for her it will be the best thing for both of you. You are so focused on this issue that it sounds like is dominating your (and her) life. Go to the peel drop, once she learns it it will become her fastball and will be fastball speed. Right now if all you do is focus on one problem, how much fun will pitching be? Give it a try, it might be.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Your girl is 13 right? The fastball is going to go away sooner then later anyway. Try the peel drop, if it works for her it will be the best thing for both of you. You are so focused on this issue that it sounds like is dominating your (and her) life. Go to the peel drop, once she learns it it will become her fastball and will be fastball speed. Right now if all you do is focus on one problem, how much fun will pitching be? Give it a try, it might be.

How is learning a "peel drop" going to fix her side arm problem? The arm circle mechanics are essentially the same as the 12-6 fastball except you release a fraction of a second earlier and use your fingers more for maximum spin.

Have her pitch against a full length mirror with rolled up socks and work on her arm circle being straight up and down throughout the motion. It will give her immediate feedback. She can't worry about results right now, only about getting the arm circle correct.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How is learning a "peel drop" going to fix her side arm problem? The arm circle mechanics are essentially the same as the 12-6 fastball except you release a fraction of a second earlier and use your fingers more for maximum spin.

QUOTE]
I don't know but she is paying a PC for his expertise and he is recommending it, and she is resisting it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

QUOTE]
I don't know but she is paying a PC for his expertise and he is recommending it, and she is resisting it.

Because she is the one paying, she needs to demand that all they work on right now is fixing and correcting the arm circle, just like she was learning how to pitch for the first time. Learning new pitches with her current bad mechanics is ill advised and will only reinforce the muscle memory for incorrect form. There is a saying that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, the same way, but expecting different results". I'm very surprised that a professional pitching coach can't help her solve the problem?

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
My two cents. Be patient with her and your own expectations. She has spent much time reinforcing a bad habit and it is going to take time to undo it. I had the same issue with my own daughter closing too soon- still not undone as a habit, but she has improved. Keep working on the fundamentals- don't worry about pitching in the games while you are changing her mechanics- if she is facing batters, she will naturally default to her comfort zone which will in turn, undo what you are working towards. Look to the future for her- not the here and now.

I think the mirror idea is a very good one. Pitching to a net or fence where you can watch her, film her with an iphone from behind so that she can have immediate feedback. She has to be able to "feel" what it is like to make the mistake- and as you indicated- right now, she is not always aware of it. Read Board Members discussion on IR- have your daughter go thru those steps and see if it helps.

PS- with regard to catching- as a mom, I have same issues, invest in a palm guard, shin guards and a rip-it mask. Then you are not afraid and neither is she- of hurting you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi