Showcase team versus Travel Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Okay guys I have a question. My DD is 15 y/o. She currently is a starter on her varsity team as well plays on a travel team. The other night at hitting lesson a showcase team coach asked about her joining their 16U Showcase team come Fall. The question that I have is, Is a showcase team worth the time and money? Her dream and goal is to play college ball and we are thinking this could only help that, but do not have any experience with showcase tournaments. Is it worth it? Her travel team is looking at going 16U in the fall and she could easily stay with them. What's everyone's thoughts / experiences with Showcase teams?

If the end game is to play college softball you probably need to find a new team ASAP. More than likely none of your coaches have experience beyond 14U. Coaching a showcase team is completely different. You cannot wait around while they figure it out. Find a team that has experience helping athletes get recruited, hopefully to schools where your DD may be a good fit. But do not get hung up on the whole "coaching connections" thing. It is pure BS as all a coach can do is get a school to take a look at you. It is not like they are going to call in a favor or sway the coach. That is sum total of the value of a "connection".

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
But do not get hung up on the whole "coaching connections" thing. It is pure BS as all a coach can do is get a school to take a look at you. It is not like they are going to call in a favor or sway the coach. That is sum total of the value of a "connection".
I think what you are saying is the kid has to have the skill set that matches the college program otherwise the coach will move along. I will say that the college coach connection is real, especially if your coach has been at it for a long time. We had some major D1 coaches coming to watch a few key players on DD's team because of their trusting relationship. She never got an offer. I bet they are wishing they made offers to one pitcher as both of their pitching staff is decimated. She could have played almost anywhere but that kid was going to said P5 school as a player or as a student. The family dynasty is strong.

Jul 14, 2018
You know you have a good showcase coach if you tell them that you're interested in 'Program A" but they are honest with you and tell you that you'd be better off focusing on 'Program B.' As riseball said, nobody is calling in a favor with Tim Walton to get your daughter on to the Florida team, but showcase coaches who identify players who are appropriate for different programs are valuable to college coaches. Those who have a good reputation for recommending players will be able to get your daughter looked at.

May 27, 2013
You know you have a good showcase coach if you tell them that you're interested in 'Program A" but they are honest with you and tell you that you'd be better off focusing on 'Program B.' As riseball said, nobody is calling in a favor with Tim Walton to get your daughter on to the Florida team, but showcase coaches who identify players who are appropriate for different programs are valuable to college coaches. Those who have a good reputation for recommending players will be able to get your daughter looked at.

Yes, and that’s exactly what I was trying to say. Our coach is very well respected by college programs in the Northeast for getting them decent players. Our program focuses on those schools and the players / parents are well aware of that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors