Showcase - Playing Time Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
A couple things come into play with exposure type tournaments. Yes, most allow free substitution and you can bat everyone. This allows most teams to shuffle kids in and out easily. The team my DD plays for bats every girl and tries to get the girls in at least half the defensive outs a game. One of my observations of exposure tournaments is that the top teams get the better fields and schedule preferences. They also draw the college coaches to their games for obvious reasons. If you are considered a lesser team, they seem to play slightly different during their games. A lot of those teams are trying to make a name for themselves. They play their best players full games and play to win. Perhaps they feel like beating a traditionally good team in a showcase proves they belong. I am not sure what the right answer is. I always want my DD's team to play well, but don't really look at wins or losses. Other teams keep score and like to say they went 5-0 on the weekend. Reality is your DD needs to make the most of whatever playing time she gets. You never know when the ball is going to be hit to her and who will see it. Make the most of every situation.

I've see this too. We have a local Gold team that carries 20 players and plays 9. My DD's Gold team has a rule that if your not committed and don't send emails to college coaches with field info and game times the player sits. Also, hustle and attitude have to be good to get playing time. Coach told us that each player is good enough to be on his team or he wouldn't have picked her up, therefore every one will play in Showcase tournaments. It is different in actual tournaments, the best play.

Aug 7, 2012
If my (un-committed) daughter arranged for College Coach to see her play and the HC was aware and sat her I would be beyond irate. I think those that put for the extra effort to reach out to coaches should get more time and coaches should communicate that to the team. But my expectations of exposures are different, in other words, I think the odds of my daughter 'catching the eye' of a passing college coach at and exposure tournament is highly unlikely.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
If my (un-committed) daughter arranged for College Coach to see her play and the HC was aware and sat her I would be beyond irate. I think those that put for the extra effort to reach out to coaches should get more time and coaches should communicate that to the team. But my expectations of exposures are different, in other words, I think the odds of my daughter 'catching the eye' of a passing college coach at and exposure tournament is highly unlikely.

I don't believe this was the case for the OP. Sounds like they just were curious about playing time on different teams during showcase tournaments. I agree with you 100%, if my DD arranged for a college coach to come see her play and she sat the bench, I would be extremely irate. I have heard a few stories about that type behavior from coaches, but I don't think it is the norm. Typically if you pay that tyoe of money to be on an exposure team and set up a look form a coach, most coaches I have seen are pretty good about getting kids in.

Jan 4, 2013
Thank you everyone for all of your insightful responses. I really do appreciate it! Basically my DD and I have resigned to the fact that working with her travel coach is pretty useless and since she's in her junior year of HS, we are committing to attending more catching clinics at colleges where she might like to go. It's a good way to show her skills to the college coaches and build a rapport. I'm hoping something will be done with the travel coaching by the organization to improve the quality as the assistant coach seems lacking in this regard. The proof is in his HS team and comments I've been told by this own HS players. Sad situation, one that I hope your DD doesn't get exposed to.

Thanks again!

CJ

So does your daughter play HS ball for a different HS? or is she strictly travel? If your DD is getting no playing time I don't see the purpose of being associated with this team. Unless she is going to catch for sure next year or is playing another position when not catching....although senior year is usually late to get exposure you should be "on the radar" and probably verballed by the end of your junior year or at least have a couple options lined up. I also don't know why you have not had a conversation with your coach before this, if he does not think your DD is D1 or D2 scholarship material he should have let you know this or at least tell you to start looking at JUCOs. I just don't understand the lack of communication that goes on in some organizations.

Jan 4, 2013
So does your daughter play HS ball for a different HS? or is she strictly travel? If your DD is getting no playing time I don't see the purpose of being associated with this team. Unless she is going to catch for sure next year or is playing another position when not catching....although senior year is usually late to get exposure you should be "on the radar" and probably verballed by the end of your junior year or at least have a couple options lined up. I also don't know why you have not had a conversation with your coach before this, if he does not think your DD is D1 or D2 scholarship material he should have let you know this or at least tell you to start looking at JUCOs. I just don't understand the lack of communication that goes on in some organizations.

Thank you for your input.

She plays for a different HS, one that has a winning program as well as her travel team. Most of the girls in our area (Hampton Roads, VA) play D2 or D3 ball. Here the girls know by the beginning of the senior year if they will be playing college ball. My wife and I are being realistic and know she's not D1, and maybe not D2 material. We just support her and are trying to help her find a school which she will enjoy academically, socially, and possibly athletically.

And yes, open communication would be nice. Even one on one progress updates to each parent periodically would be a plus. Since my one and only discussion with this coach didn't fare well, I'm not going back to the well. Heck, she'll be done with them no later than August. It's the girls that will be moving up from 16U that will inherit the problem.

Aug 29, 2012
Showcase teams get field and scheduling preference not so much on their win loss record but their record of placing girls into college programs. The more girls they can get into college, the better for the program. So most coaches will try to play all of girls unless a CC is there specifically for certain players. It doesn't always work that way, but it seems to be the norm. Also, I've never heard of a CC going to a showcase to see if a team would or lose. They could care less outcomes of teams. They're there to watch individuals. It sounds to me the coaches are new to showcases.

Jun 12, 2012
CJ - my oldest DD is a senior and plays for one of the more established VA Beach orgs. Our guidance for showcases is:
1. Committed players play very little, usually just an inning here or there to give the uncommitted girls a break.
2. Uncommitted players play more the closer they are to graduating, so a soph is not getting as many innings as a junior or unsigned senior.
3. If a coach is there to see a player, they play in whatever spot the coach wants to see them in. Our HC will come out during the game to find out what the CC wants to see. That's what it's all about!

Sounds like your HC has misaligned priorities or is a control freak. Good luck!

Jan 9, 2013
Was it a TRUE exposure tournament or was it a tournament with national or regional bids that called themselves an exposure tournament?
24.gif
25.gif
26.gif
27.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55