Should we use MLB hitters as examples?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Oct 12, 2009
Yes. Just did it I'm told. No personal knowledge but I asked someone who would know.

I've worked with a number of world-class athletes and in every case they were taught to do the stupid stuff. Most of my time is spent un-doing stuff and explaining why this cue or that cue was responsible for their problems.

May 11, 2009
Serious question: How would you teach the swing differently? What is the alternative if not linear or rotational? What would you tweak or change?

Chris I said there would be similarities. I agree you have to start with a technique be it linear or rotational. What I am saying is the pitching is different, the athletes are different and there will be differences in how they do things. There will never be a cookie cutter swing that all athletes will emulate perfectly if we try to do that you may take away some god given talent that you never gave a chance to see. No human from one to the next will ever do exactly the same thing so all we can do is get them as close to what is perceived as the correct way of doing things. What is the right way? Yours? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe for some but not for others. That is my point everyone is different, simple human nature.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
In this case, there's a brewing argument over whether someone's players can relate to male BB players. I think that's easily solved. If they can learn that way, use it. If they can't learn that way, don't. To be honest, I look at MLB players' swings all the time but I don't think I've ever shown more than one or two of those clips to my players or students, and even then it was a select few. I would rather learn it myself then demonstrate it as a teaching tool. If I use a clip, it's to show that I'm not just making it up myself but not as the primary tool.

From my point of view, the MLB clips are there to help me understand and learn, not my players or students. Teaching them is my job and I take it seriously. If I thought I could help those kids add 50 points to their batting average by watching ballet I would.

Very well put. I do the same thing. I don't show the girls I teach MLB clips. I demonstrate the components of the swing myself. I also study and practice the most common incorrect movements that I see the girls using, so I can demonstrate the difference between they're swing and what I teach.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I also study and practice the most common incorrect movements that I see the girls using, so I can demonstrate the difference between they're swing and what I teach.

Yeah, nothing makes the point faster than when they see you imitate what they do. :) I used that with a pitcher tonight. She laughed, but she understood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog