Should She or Should She Not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
NSA and Xeno are sponsoring a showcase tournament next July (Xeno Talent Search). The tournament is open to 2013 (uncommitted) to 2017 high school graduates. Players will be selected based on their application and placed on a team for the showcase. There will be 24 teams consisting of eleven players (7 position players, 2 pitchers, 2 catchers) and each team will have top quality coaching. Each team will play 4 games over a three day period.

DGD is a 2017 grad and is an above average catcher playing 14u ball this fall and probably next spring/summer. Several 16u teams have begged her to play with them, but because of maturity and wanting her to develop more leadership skills, her parents would rather her play at 14u (plus it is a great organization and team) at this time.

Physically, it would be no problem, she is 5"6" and 150lbs of solid muscle. She loves the game of softball and would play 24/7 if she could. After playing 3 games Sunday, when the family got home at 6pm, she was not satisfied with her hitting that day and asked if they could go to the backyard and hit some soft toss. So the dedication is there.

Her family is discussing this now and are weighting the pros and cons before they ask her if she wants to take advantage of the opportunity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is something new for the parents and they don't want to screw it up!:)

Thx

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Why not? Even just for the experience. I guess it would also depend on the time frame, where I live our State Tournament is in July, and then most teams that attend Nationals will be departing towards the end of July. Other than that..... go for it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Physically, I see no problem. I also see no problem playing in a 3 day tourney. My DD is 14 and is a freshman this year and will be playing against the same age girls as this girl will face(hopefully if she makes her high school team). Good way to see how she will do or what she may or may not need to work on. I am not in favor of playing a girl up during a season JMHO.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
How much is this showcase? I would assume about $500. What college coaches will be there? Sometimes saving the money on these type camps and spending them on actual college prospect camps is more cost effective. If money is not a concern it sounds fun.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for the answers and encouragement so far.

The showcase is scheduled for July 5-7 so at this time I don't think it would interfere with any state or national tournaments, at least it would not have in the last several years.

If the cost was $500, this would not even be a consideration, especially being a 2017 grad. The cost is only :))) $185.

Again, being a 2017 grad, what college coaches would be there is not that big of a concern. The family was thinking more for the experience and gauging where she needs to improve. She will not be playing HS ball until spring of 2014 (NC law will not let her play earlier). But if college coaches are there, and they put her name on a futures list, that would be a plus.

And yes Amy, she would definitely say yes in a minute! She is already catching D1 pitchers for her personal coach and hitting 60mph fastballs from her hitting coach. So she thinks she is invincible. We all know this is not true and maybe this will make her realize she has some more work to do.

Jul 26, 2010
July 5-7 is when the big 3 showcases in Colorado are taking place. If there's a lot of local interest from schools your daughter wants to attend then that may make more sense?

-W

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I'm not sure of the other two Colorado tourneys but the Boulder Independence Day tournament was June 27th to July 1st. My DD has played there the last three years and she was home for the fourth of July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes