Should She Make Varsity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Nothing a player does in the off season but observed by a coach should be held against a player IF they are participating in good faith. I am going to post something now that some won't like. Zebras don't change their stripes. Have you had a sit down recently with this player and asked them if they are a Zebra? Players with bad attitudes often don't realize just how poorly they are viewed. If you let this player know that they aren't endearing themselves to the program and might get cut if they don't change their attitude, then, if she doesn't change, cut her.
I can attest to this fact. Sometimes people in general don't know they have a funky attitude unless it's brought to their attention. I had an employee about 4 years ago that was very productive, but also very negative and passive aggressive. I sat him down and told him how much I appreciated his productivity and gave him a book to read and asked that he read and return it within 2 weeks to discuss it. He did and came back to me and apologized. He had no idea he had that bad of an attitude odor. He was bitter because he left the field he loved to take a job with me, the only thing close to his field, but the work was beneath his ability. We worked out a plan to help him train the other employees to be better while at the same time, creating a segway back into the field he loved. He would've ran through a brick wall for me and I couldn't have been happier to see him thrive where he loved to be. That being said, there are others who scoffed at the idea of self correction. Whatever. Up to each individual, but giving her an opportunity to grow seems like the way to go here. Especially if she has talent.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"Should" she make varsity? Heck, a lot of girls "should," but don't. Assuming attitude is equal across players (which is never the case), it is the hope that a head coach of a high school varsity team would pick the most talented players available in the school, but we all know (or should know) that it doesn't always end up that way. In fact, I would say that it is less common than people would like to think. A$$ kissing of one form or another is usually the secret.

;)

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Unfortunately, the Zebra talk I had with one pitcher didn't work. He was supposed to be a stud and was 90+ on the gun. However, he refused to listen to anyone. I got a letter from prison from him telling me that he wished he could have that talk back and change his life.

Dec 19, 2012
A pitcher plays JV as an 8th grader (in our district, it's allowed). As a freshman, she doesn't make varsity and plays JV again. Gets about half the circle time through the first three games. Massive attitude problem, thinks she should have made varsity, very unhappy and lets everybody know it. The JV coach pulls her aside to discuss her poor attitude. She quits JV. Plays travel through the summer and fall. Now she's going to try out again as a sophomore.

The varsity team doesn't need her. They have two older and better pitchers. She wouldn't get much circle time. There are other freshman pitchers they could take for depth. That said, on talent alone, she would be in the mix to make varsity - but the team won't suffer without her.

If you are the varsity coach, do you make her play another season of JV regardless of the tryout?

Just curious....are you the coach or the parent of a freshman pitcher?

Jan 7, 2014
Just curious....are you the coach or the parent of a freshman pitcher?

Parent of the freshman pitcher. JV plays at a pretty high level here, so it's ok if she plays JV and gets more circle time... As opposed to warming the bench on varsity.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm betting Coach.
I'm changing my vote. LOL

qsort, then you see what some of the problems are your dd faces. I'd think that quitting in the middle of a season has to really bother the HC. It would bother me. To be blunt, I don't tolerate any attitude from players. I don't allow my teams to have super stars and if they are bad teammates, they aren't going to be a part of my program for very long. Good luck!

Nov 29, 2009
There is something else that is not being mentioned. What are the parents like? I would bet most of the bad attitude is an extension of home conversations. Does she play travel for her dad? Could the parents be a whole load of baggage the HC doesn't want to deal with? Do the parents have the AD's ear? Are the parents influential within the school community? There can be sooo much behind the scenes arm twisting it's unreal. Does the AD have the coach's back or will he/she crumble to a complaining parent?

According to the OP the HC does not need this girl to have a successful varsity team. The simple answer to the problem is a conversation between the HC and player. The coach needs to tell her she must out perform the older and more experienced pitchers on varsity by a LARGE margin to be considered for a roster spot. Otherwise JV is where she'll be playing again, if she decides to play at all. As the OP said she quit in the middle of the season before. Putting her on varsity would be setting a bad precedent. In essence, rewarding her for her poor attitude.

Feb 7, 2013
Not only did she want to quit JV, but what's more troubling to me is the parents let her do it. What happens when she makes V but doesn't get her way (e.g. enough playing time) and decides to quit again?

Jan 7, 2014
There is something else that is not being mentioned. What are the parents like? I would bet most of the bad attitude is an extension of home conversations. Does she play travel for her dad? Could the parents be a whole load of baggage the HC doesn't want to deal with? Do the parents have the AD's ear? Are the parents influential within the school community? There can be sooo much behind the scenes arm twisting it's unreal. Does the AD have the coach's back or will he/she crumble to a complaining parent?

According to the OP the HC does not need this girl to have a successful varsity team. The simple answer to the problem is a conversation between the HC and player. The coach needs to tell her she must out perform the older and more experienced pitchers on varsity by a LARGE margin to be considered for a roster spot. Otherwise JV is where she'll be playing again, if she decides to play at all. As the OP said she quit in the middle of the season before. Putting her on varsity would be setting a bad precedent. In essence, rewarding her for her poor attitude.

The parents are just as you would expect them to be... And letting one's daughter quit in such a situation tells you everything you need to know about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1