Should She Make Varsity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
A pitcher plays JV as an 8th grader (in our district, it's allowed). As a freshman, she doesn't make varsity and plays JV again. Gets about half the circle time through the first three games. Massive attitude problem, thinks she should have made varsity, very unhappy and lets everybody know it. The JV coach pulls her aside to discuss her poor attitude. She quits JV. Plays travel through the summer and fall. Now she's going to try out again as a sophomore.

The varsity team doesn't need her. They have two older and better pitchers. She wouldn't get much circle time. There are other freshman pitchers they could take for depth. That said, on talent alone, she would be in the mix to make varsity - but the team won't suffer without her.

If you are the varsity coach, do you make her play another season of JV regardless of the tryout?

Nov 2, 2015
That depends. She's a young girl, sometimes they need to learn things the hard way (by making the wrong decisions). Has she changed her attitude? Has she learned to be a part of the team?

I don't think you can make a decision solely on what happened last year.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
She demonstrated last season that she is looking only for what the team can give her, not what she can give the team.

Has anything changed? If she has not expressed any change of heart, I wouldn't want her back on JV, much less varsity.

But if she has expressed remorse, and I buy it, then perhaps she deserves another chance.

Jan 7, 2014
She demonstrated last season that she is looking only for what the team can give her, not what she can give the team.

Has anything changed? If she has not expressed any change of heart, I wouldn't want her back on JV, much less varsity.

But if she has expressed remorse, and I buy it, then perhaps she deserves another chance.

Early indications from winter workouts seem to suggest that the attitude hasn't changed.

I guess I'm wondering if the coach will be sending a message to the rest of the team (and the parents) if this girl is allowed to quit JV (in response to an adult coaching her on her attitude) without consequences...which is what will happen if she makes varsity.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Pitching is such a high percentage of mental strength and from last years actions I'd give her a slim chance. Let her try out, put some stress into it. See if her mental game has changed. Prior to tryouts and up front ask if you don't make varsity are you quitting again? That will give you a good idea of her thoughts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Nothing a player does in the off season but observed by a coach should be held against a player IF they are participating in good faith. I am going to post something now that some won't like. Zebras don't change their stripes. Have you had a sit down recently with this player and asked them if they are a Zebra? Players with bad attitudes often don't realize just how poorly they are viewed. If you let this player know that they aren't endearing themselves to the program and might get cut if they don't change their attitude, then, if she doesn't change, cut her.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
In DDs school if you quit during season you are to sit out all sports for a year. That said, she was an 8th grader and not in HS. I cut "some" slack there but make sure it's known if there is a repeat she might as well change schools.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is not my personality but DD will go around the field high fifing everyone. She is not the best pitcher in the world but her teammates have her back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1