Should she be strength training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
Should I have my 11 year old doing some exercises to improve muscle strength in her legs and trunk etc. Nothing serious obviously...I didn't know if that is something you do when she has her mechanics down. She is a beginner. Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013
Get her swimming, gymnastics, BB, dance, etc. Something more active then SB that she likes, I would not do weight training.

Dec 7, 2011
Core, core, core, and more core.

Did I mention core?

(support the health of a pitcher with a strong one of these - NOT just crunches!!!)

Dec 7, 2011
Any exercise or drill suggestions Rubber?

PT in rehab for DD had her primarily doing many variations of planking (different angles for the torso) and toe touches (somewhat in a crunching position but focused on bringing the bent leg forward to touch the alternate toe - like old style "bicycles").

There were others but these were the big ones.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I asked the same question about a month ago and was informed about a workout called "The Pitchers Pop". I actually ordered it for my DD and she has been doing this core strengthing program for about 2 weeks. I was a little skeptical at first but the results speak for themselves. The excersizes are not anything you could not find on youtube or another site but it is all spelled out for you and easy to understand. I would recommend it as it has already begun to help my DD.

Mar 28, 2013
Should I have my 11 year old doing some exercises to improve muscle strength in her legs and trunk etc. Nothing serious obviously...I didn't know if that is something you do when she has her mechanics down. She is a beginner. Thanks!

Other than just core one that is important is pushups, the pushup is to develop both half's of her upper body. Pitchers are prone to overdeveloping the throwing side which causes back issues due to the big discrepancy in muscle strength in the upper back. If you want to be one better do as many as you can on your fingertips, that goes a long way to making your fingers stronger and promotes a faster sharper spin in the ball. This board tends to get really technical at times but this old school exercise works great.,especially since DD can do this in her bedroom.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd