Should playing time in rec league be based on merit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Amen, DOG310! This is my biggest soapbox with my parents. Take 10 minutes to play catch a few times a week and sit back and enjoy the results. Parents think they can drop off a child one day a week to practice and they will be magically transformed into a player when they pick them up.

I coach 8U and 10U and its shocking the number of kids who can't catch after playing 8U for 3 seasons. I've made it a focus of 8U coaching but ultimately there is only so much you can do.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
It sounds to me like there are different levels of Rec ball and everyone is using their own interpretation of what Rec ball is. Apparently, there is a difference between Rec and competitive Rec. I can understand having a competitive rec team where all players play, but how much, and where they play is earned, as long as everyone knows that when they sign up. Calling it competitive means the goal is to compete with other teams with a goal of winning. It only stands to reason that the girls on the team would compete with each other for playing time and positions. If this is what Momo'sDad is talking about, I don't see a problem with it. Best players play the most, worst players sit the most. It may inspire girls who do not get to play as much as they want, or the position they want, to work harder, even if the only time they practice is with the team.

Feb 3, 2011
I think the issue is that your league's fall ball does not resemble "rec" ball as most people would define it. Your rule set where only 9 bat and substitutions are limited and the fact that you have a 13 on your roster means that some girls are going to only get one at bat per game and sit on the bench a lot. I'm also assuming that because it's rec ball everyone who signs up get assigned to a team regardless of skill level. I wouldn't expect many less "serious" players to want to play in your system.

You could have different starting lineups for each game of your double header - an "A" and "B" team if you will. Of course this is not the best way to compete in both games and it's not "fair" to the better players.

In our area rec ball is supposed to be about fun and skill development. Winning comes into the equation only because generally it's more fun than losing. As a rec league coach I've got to find a way to make sure everyone on the team has fun and improves their skills. The tricky part is to find a way to reward the better players without leaving the others behind.

Back to the original question if you and your assistant coach don't agree on this and you can't find a compromise then the assistant is either going to have to grin and bear it or find another team that more closely matches his or her philosophy.
Not every relationship was meant to be successful, but at least we gave it a shot. She brings so much to the table in terms of softball skills teaching that I felt we could work well together over the short season to give our players and families an enjoyable and productive softball experience.

I can't really teach desire, but I do make an effort to keep all the instruction at the girls' individual skill levels. Some players are more advanced than others, so we divide into small groups in an effort to keep any of the players from feeling bored.

The purpose of our regular spring rec season is just as you described and that's how a majority of us in this area coach it.

You're exactly right about the fall season not being traditional rec. Anyone can sign up to play, but then coaches select only the players they want. Most times, a coach will have 5-6 core players and then fill in the roster from the pool. We want the coaches to carry at least 11, but not every player who registers will be placed on a team. If there are not enough coaches or if there are not enough players to fill an additional team, some girls will be left out. Most of the girls who sign up or who get signed up by their parents are serious about softball. They don't have to be good, but most of them at least want to be out there playing.

I agree on the A/B concept, and that was the original plan, which I've stuck to pretty well, and have even moved outfielders to the infield including 1B in that 2nd game when we're actually playing to win. Thanks for the post, Coach.

Jul 5, 2011
I agree on the A/B concept, and that was the original plan, which I've stuck to pretty well, and have even moved outfielders to the infield including 1B in that 2nd game when we're actually playing to win. Thanks for the post, Coach.

I assumed everyone who signed up was assigned to a team so now I know what you mean by competitive rec. I still think competitive rec is an oxymoron but that's just my opinion.

It can't be easy to make sure 13 girls gets equal playing time but it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of it. I can't help but wonder exactly what your assistant's problem is with what you're doing and what she thinks you should do?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Typical SoCal Rec (ASA):

all players tryout (8U and up)
all players ranked
all players drafted (11 - 12 players per team). 5 - 10 teams per division.
skill level is mixed (some girls have played since age of 5, every team will have a few girls that have never played before)
By 10U, full ASA rules apply (including dropped third strike, unlimited stealing including home plate,). At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the players see a regular hitting coach, attend softball camps, clinics, etc. and most teams carry 3 pitchers (with 2 of the 3 pitchers seeing a pitching coach regularly)
All players bat round robin
All players play at least one inning in infield position
Pitching limits (ex. 9 outs) so more girls get a chance to pitch
No player sits on the bench more than 1 - 2 innings (depending on division)

In May, Rec all-star teams are selected for all divisions by the managers. There are no restrictions on number of innings a player plays and generally the best players are the starters. The season lasts from the end of May - July (possibly longer if the team makes Nationals). The emphasis is on winning and teaching softball fundamentals along the way.

By 12U, most of the best and more dedicated players will start playing travel ball and there is a big drop-off in the quality of rec players for 14U and above.

SoCal rec leagues provide a nice balance between having a recreational environment where all kids get to play but also an outlet for the better and more dedicated players to play at a higher level at the end of the season (before making the huge commitment to the travel ball lifestyle). And the bottom-line is that most of the kids are enjoying playing softball and come back season after season, whether they are they are strongest players or not.

High School (Varisty) softball is very competitive and almost all of the players on the varsity team have also played travel ball. Many will go on to play at some level of college softball.

Apr 1, 2010
Smallball,
The real reason "little Suzy" continues to struggle is because the parent is too lazy to set down the beer, get off the couch and throw the ball with DD. It's much easier to throw the coach volunteer dad/mom under the bus.;)

Applause for Dog310!

I'd rather have been sitting around reading or watching tv and my softball skills are very poor, but darn it, I went out in the yard and played catch with my daughter once or twice a week when she started playing t-ball. (I also went out and practiced soccer with her during the soccer seasons.) She went from a low skill level to being one of the better players, and then eventually left rec ball to play competitively.

The sad thing is, it wasn't that hard. I'm hardly an expert and we never practiced that long--usually went out in the yard after dinner and homework were over and only stayed out until it started getting dark. There were plenty of other kids who liked playing just as much as she did, but their parents didn't take the time to practice with them. I think she may be the only girl from her rec team who is still playing.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
In the few months I have been on this forum I have learned that softball, beit rec. or travel, is different all across this country. Every region is different with different approaches and different goals. I know it's the same game but it's almost like compareing apples to oranges. Both are awesome fruits, but with different tastes and textures as well nutrients. Some areas produce more prospects but does that mean their areas are more talented or have better opportunities.
DD is playing in a fall rec. league. They do keep score but there is no standings or tourney at the end. This is the only fall league in our area so the girls are from all over, and atleast a third of them are also travel ball players. Someone is always sitting out, but dd has not sat one out(and she is playing up, mostly at ss or second).So it is more serious than summer ball but not as competetive as travel ball. And my dd loves it. She would play softball whether you kept score or not, whether it was for a trophy or not. She always approaches the game the same way.
Momo'sD it sounds to me like you are doing an awesome job. Keep up the good work! Don't sweat the haters!

Jul 1, 2010
Screwball,
I see your point about too much practice and too much parent, especially at the older ages. I guess I'm really talking about the 12U and below. It is so frustrating to watch the poor child that has the parent in the stands berating the coaching staff or, worse, yelling instructions to their kid when all can see they haven't taken the time to even try to help their kid outside of team practice.

Mine is still relatively young, so daughter and dad spend time trying to hone her skills. Mom, who didn't grow up playing team sports, even gets out and throws grounders at her every once in a while.

At the same time, if they get some good coaching and put in a little practice, it is amazing to see the changes from month to month at the younger ages. The girl that couldn't catch, throw or hit can be a contributing player with a little direction and effort.

Jul 5, 2011
Smallball,
The real reason "little Suzy" continues to struggle is because the parent is too lazy to set down the beer, get off the couch and throw the ball with DD. It's much easier to throw the coach volunteer dad/mom under the bus.;)

Were I talking to the average coach volunteer dad/mom, I'd agree with you 100%, however, I assume since you're posting on a fastpitch forum you're more passionate and/or knowledgeable about the game than the average volunteer dad/mom. From that perspective I'd counter that it's much easier to throw the parent under the bus than it is to take the extra time in practice to teach little Suzy to throw and catch.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
You can show someone how to throw and catch. However, unless they actually take the time to practice that activity, they will still not be able to actually do it. I have 11 10U or 8U kids at most 1.5 hours of practice per week, unless they spend the entire time playing catch it won't be enough to truly ingrain that ability.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom