Should playing time in rec league be based on merit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Lozza,I'am will stand and appluse you,for what said is the truth.It just seems to me if I remeber right,and I could be wrong,that Momo'sdad started on the site early this year,and talked about his dd being 8 or 9yo.I feel like he has forgot what this sport is about at such a young age, 10u or even that matter some 12u's.If you over look some of these girls you my miss out on the future of this sport.Now I'am a man,but I know how so many women before in this game have gave to make it what it is today.Don't turn your back on it to win some trophy in a fall rec league.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
At 8U, we require that every kid play IF twice in a 6 inning game (I usually try to have everyone play 3 times) and you can't play the same position more than twice. By definition, everyone gets a chance to experience different parts of the game.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Our rec league has a select team that plays Sunday doubleheaders against other select and travel ball teams. Our select team rules are less restrictive than Momo's Dad's rec league rules: we can bat the entire order and have unlimited defensive substitutions.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD is done with rec but the league that she played in requires no one player sits the bench twice before every player sits once. The coaches are allowed discretion as to whether to play a girl in the infield or not based on safety concerns (or parent request) - however, in those cases it was generally understood that those girls could play 2B with minimum risk...and inevitably the hot shots would always be hit to 2B...some of them developed the necessary skill not only to protect themselves but to make the plays...and some did not.

Jul 5, 2011
I still think that skill development happens primarily at practice. If you watch a kid warm up at practice and she struggles to catch a thrown ball, why would you put her at 1B?.......If you are counting on a 4 inning timed game to learn how to field a grounder, you will not learn to do it.

You're exactly right that skill development happens at practice. But why does little Suzy struggle to catch a thrown ball? In a lot of cases because in the first day of practice when she struggled to catch the ball, instead of teaching her how to catch, the coach labeled her "right fielder off the bench", and there she stays.

Some folks seem to be under the mistaken impression that "having fun" and giving every girl a chance to be a star at 8U or 10U rec equals not teaching the girls to compete; you're dead wrong. Sluggers was right; winning in rec is easy. All you have to do is teach all of the girls solid fundamentals because 90% of the other coaches aren't. They're content to let their five best athletes try to win the game for them.

Mar 31, 2011
I really don't get the point of the original post...

Rec softball is for the kids to have fun. End of story.

We 3 or 4 levels of softball teams in my area, depending on who you ask.

True Rec: Players are out to have fun, all play everywhere, competition is not the goal. Good players who play at this level are told to move on. Parents get upset if good players play down. It is based on school grade. 6 grade still has no stealing. Find these in the metro area.

Competitive Rec: These are Rec teams only in the sense that all players are from one school or area. They (for the most part) play as competitively as they can. Many girls that play travel also play at this level. Short season 14-20 games with a tournament. Find these on the outskirts of the metro area mostly. This group of parents are the most competitive. They WANT to beat neighboring teams. I have coached this level, and have heard many times "I don't care if my kid plays, just beat so-and-so".

Select: Travel ball without the travel. Teams only play tournaments that are local. Except for state tournaments. Play against the travel teams. play 40-50 games. Some people call this the same as travel.

Travel: Need no description. Some teams in this level call themselves all stars. play 60-70 games.

They only reason I say this is because many people use the word <b>"Rec"</b> to state "all for fun". When we have two differing groups that call themselves "Rec". One group of parents would faint if you told them "Rec" was just for fun.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Rec is for anybody that cares to sign up and they sign up for a wide array of reasons and the talent level varies wildly. In rec each child deserves respect for where they are in terms of talent and the ability to contribute. Travel and club ball are where the player should earn their spot on the roster and the field.

In our rec league there are rules governing fair play:
- Pitcher innings are limited (differs for boys and girls)
- Every player must play in the 2 innings in the infield
- 6 run max per inning
- Playoff seedings are randomly determined before the season

In terms of positioning we have unwritten rules & gentleman’s agreements
- Safety is the first consideration
- Don’t put a player in a position to fail
- Players rotate positions
- Coaches are encouraged to get as many different pitchers as possible
- Batting order is changed to give a variety of players the ability to be in the top of the order

This doesn’t eliminate abuses and coaches trying to game the system to gain an advantage, but it is a good faith framework.

Feb 3, 2011
Competitive Rec: These are Rec teams only in the sense that all players are from one school or area. They (for the most part) play as competitively as they can. Many girls that play travel also play at this level. Short season 14-20 games with a tournament. Find these on the outskirts of the metro area mostly. This group of parents are the most competitive. They WANT to beat neighboring teams. I have coached this level, and have heard many times "I don't care if my kid plays, just beat so-and-so".
That's what this league is. We play against teams in a 50-60 mile radius. Teams are selected by the coaches who may use any criteria they wish. In our case, the assistant asked to have 2 family members added to the roster a month into the season as a personal favor and I did so. In so doing, I was accepting any potential criticism that might come from other parents who would see a reduction in playing time for their kids when the roster was expanded from 11 to 13. A roster size of 12 had been my intended limit, but I was willing to go to 13 if it kept a kid from being left out.

The reason I've never had a parent complain is that I do balance things out fairly for all the players. I don't care what the other coaches do with their rosters. I keep a record of just about everything and use the information collected each week to set the game plan for the following week with regard to sharing the innings.

Jul 1, 2010
You're exactly right that skill development happens at practice. But why does little Suzy struggle to catch a thrown ball? In a lot of cases because in the first day of practice when she struggled to catch the ball, instead of teaching her how to catch, the coach labeled her "right fielder off the bench", and there she stays.

Smallball,
The real reason "little Suzy" continues to struggle is because the parent is too lazy to set down the beer, get off the couch and throw the ball with DD. It's much easier to throw the coach volunteer dad/mom under the bus.;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp