Should HS seniors EVER play JV?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Here seniors are not allowed to play JV. But that isn't your problem.
A lot of it depends on how many seniors you would downgrade to JV. If only a couple, then the underclassmen who would be riding the bench would be better off starting at JV. If it is more than a couple you need to either keep them on JV or else suffer. The answer to that question may depend on politics. Would the kids, or the parents, revolt if you broke with tradition? That could be worse for the program than bad seniors on JV.
Or, you may have to wait until you are well established before stirring things up too much.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Unless you have a really small school or can't get anyone to come out for SB cut them in their Soph or JR year and save yourself the aggravation. An AD told me this when some parents where complaining about their kid following the rules and playing JV like they were supposed to and were cut their SR year.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
In our state, seniors are only allowed to play Varsity. So it is becomes a problem when you have a player that has played freshman/JV ball their freshman, sophomore and juniors years and try out their senior year. This year on DD's HS Varsity team there are nine returning players from the varsity team last year: 8 seniors and my DD who is a returning junior and we are in an excellent position to go to State this year. Coach wants to roster 12 on varsity. There are 3 seniors on JV that have never been at the varsity level and several underclassmen (including a couple freshman) who are serious players (TB players). Do you give the seniors the spots instead of cutting them or do you give the spots to the underclassmen with the thought of developing and building players for the coming years? Can't say that I envy the coach that decision...

Sep 29, 2014
Parent with DD who might be in this spot next year.

First thing is to make sure that it is allowed check school and conference and state rules many don't allow it.

Assuming it is allowed many variables are in play, how many kids come out if you only have 12 on Varsity and 9 left for JV I don't see why adding a couple seniors to JV would hurt. If one the other hand like you stated your varsity is staked and JV has 12 players all better than the couple seniors I would be hard pressed to keep them, just seems odd to me that you have two or three seniors that actually want to sit the JV bench I'm not sure what the motivation is? It is just a shame nobody made the situation clear before the season, although HS is very different maybe 4 or 5 girls decide they don't want to play and you need the bodies so I understand not chasing girls away.

My DD might actually luck out there are 8 or 9 returning seniors this year and only 2 or 3 underclassmen on the team which is going to be interesting when they all leave next year, I don't think the coach with shake up the team because we do have an awesome group that will finish second in conference (perennial powerhouse with DI level pitcher will finish first again and get to state final again). So next year every starting position will be open for competition without a returning starter that should prove very interesting.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Unless you have a really small school or can't get anyone to come out for SB cut them in their Soph or JR year and save yourself the aggravation.

HS sports are there for the kids, not for the coaches. If a kid has spent 3 years in the program, she should be allowed to be on varsity.

If she isn't going to get much playing time, then tell her. But, give her the opportunity. And, who knows? Kids get hurt. Pinch runners are needed.

If you cut kids as seniors, you can end up where marginal kids stop going out for the program. Softball teams at large schools have trouble getting enough kids to play. The competition with other sports (e.g., field hockey, soccer) cuts down on the numbers trying out for the softball team. It can be difficult.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Since when has Junior Varsity been for ANYONE other than 9th and 10th graders. Juniors and Seniors should not be playing JV. JV is about grade level not skill level.

Jun 21, 2012
I have come from programs that do not allow seniors to play at the JV level. During my tenure, is we had a few situations where a player was a senior and would not see any play time, I would offer a manager spot. If that wasn't something she wanted, I would then have the conversation about play time. If she still wanted to be a part of the program, knowing she wasn't going to play, I would roster her, and make her score-keeper, bull-pen catcher, or find some job she could contribute to the team with.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
HS sports are there for the kids, not for the coaches. If a kid has spent 3 years in the program, she should be allowed to be on varsity.

If she isn't going to get much playing time, then tell her. But, give her the opportunity. And, who knows? Kids get hurt. Pinch runners are needed.

If you cut kids as seniors, you can end up where marginal kids stop going out for the program. Softball teams at large schools have trouble getting enough kids to play. The competition with other sports (e.g., field hockey, soccer) cuts down on the numbers trying out for the softball team. It can be difficult.

We have a similar issue at our school. By rough estimates we have more girls that play softball at a B or higher level at our high school than any other school in the district. With approximately 1500 kids attending (will go down in 2017 when the new HS opens) a rough estimate is close to 100 girls attend and play at that level outside of school and more that play "C" but could play at a higher level. Only 25 girls showed up for tryouts last year. It has been a good program, but with less and less girls trying out each year and the new high school opening they are not going to be competitive much longer as they are not developing and keeping talent. Most would rather play spring tournament ball and get playing time. Another school in our district has less girls as a percentage of their population but field 3 or 4 teams (C, Freshman, JV and Varsity) every year. That school is just as competitive and will not be nearly as affected when the new school opens.

Jun 19, 2013
I have come from programs that do not allow seniors to play at the JV level. During my tenure, is we had a few situations where a player was a senior and would not see any play time, I would offer a manager spot. If that wasn't something she wanted, I would then have the conversation about play time. If she still wanted to be a part of the program, knowing she wasn't going to play, I would roster her, and make her score-keeper, bull-pen catcher, or find some job she could contribute to the team with.

When we were in school those kids were the managers or they went and took art or home ec or choir. Ok I guess i'm just a hard case but if you aren't good enough why aren't you cut? . . . JV is for the developing players that are good enough for JV don't clutter it up with kids that shouldn't be playing. But I guess we are in the generation of everyone get's a trophy just for showing up so I guess this is what happens by the time those kids are seniors.

Sorry to tell them that at my office you don't get an internship just because you showed up through 4 years of college you actually have to be REALLY good to get a job.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I'm the JV HC this year, last year was AC.

We had one senior girl last year on the JV team because she wanted to play JV (didn't like Varsity coach, and didn't have skills to start varsity.)

This year, we have 3 senior girls, but none of them are as skilled as many of the incoming freshmen. Two of them will be given the choice of being on varsity, but receiving no starts and very few opportunities to play, or they can be starters on JV, and then come up to varsity whenever games don't occur at the same time and they can also participate in Senior night. The third girl really has no business being on the field (jv or varsity), but she likes the game and comes out every year. She'll be on JV if she returns this year and I'll get her as much play time as possible.

What it comes down to (for us) is that we want to do what is best for the team AND the player...tradition plays little part in it. If the senior girl knows up front that she can either be a sub on varsity or a starter on JV, then they can make up their own mind. Personally, I would be bored to tears sitting on the bench as a senior, but others may just want the experience of being on that varsity TEAM.

My advice, if you have input in this matter, let the player decide. And then, if halfway through the season she wants to switch teams under the same conditions, then let her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy