shin guard problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My DD is having problems with her shin guards turning in towards each other all the time. They are Wilson brand wta3541 bladt. We’ve tried loosening them then tightening them. Nothing seems to be working and she is constantly struggling to keep them straight. The only thing I have thought could be causing it is the length. They are 16’s. They seem like they fit fine, but I could be wrong. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW she is 15yo and is about 5’5”.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Has she tried crossing the straps, in the back? Are they just straps or do they get wider, in the back? Try putting something wider on the strap like a piece of lambs wool. (I am thinking like old people wear on their seat belts.)

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
They have a brace or pad?? in the back the straps go through. She has Cris-crossed them even though they are not made to go through that way. They probably wouldn't bother her so much except they start to slap each other when she walks when they turn.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Here's a basic video on sizing shin guards from Easton.

[video=youtube_share;1R1uXUu7nvU]http://youtu.be/1R1uXUu7nvU[/video]

Many manufacturers has different lengths representative of adult, intermediate, ect... (AllStar has youth sizes in 13" and 14.5", Rawlings has adult sizes in 16", 17" and 18.5"....) It's best to consult individual manufacturer's sizing information for the product you are interested in.

I'm 5' 11" and have a 15.5" shin measurement. I'm guessing they may be a bit big for her...

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
finding shin guards for the very thin leg is difficult. I had a rail thin catcher
a couple years back and the only thing she found that fit well were Schutt Sports

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
She would love to hear you say she is skinny. She will never be a flyer for the cheer squad but she did play as a lineman a couple of years ago with the Junior football team. She always wears softball pants with them. I would have sworn we had gotten her 15" guards, but plain as day they do say 16 on the tag. So I'm guessing they are to long, as I was wondering even before I saw the size. I just didn't know if this was a problem others have ever had and been able to remedy. I think I'm going to try a pair of all-stars 14".

She did get a chuckle and appreciated the duct tape comment.:)
Thanks for all the responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd