Shin guards in the field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I talked to a man the other day that mentioned his DD wore shin guards under her socks, this is a girl playing 10u pitches and plays first. I had never really thought of that before, but thought it was something that could be beneficial. I searched on here and seen where people had mentioned using some made by evoshield, but they must not make them anymore. Do any of your DD's wear something like that if so what kind does she wear.

Oct 4, 2018
Nah. It certainly will cut down on some bumps and bruises, but those are pretty rare and I'm not sure you want a girl relying on that protection. If it makes them more fearless at a young age and they grow out of them quickly, I could see the benefit.

But no, never seen it.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
The only time I ever wear shin guards when I am on the field is when I am batting. I've been beaned in the ankle a couple of times and trust me...it hurts. Now I do wear leg guards when I am behind the plate. But I don't think that counts since that is a mandatory piece of equipment for catchers.

Edit: added a word since I thought I had typed it. Apparently, it didn't take. :LOL: 🤪

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not many players wearing knee pads out on the field either. I think they're exceptionally important and helped me a lot.
( put only the knee'pad' between my pants and socks in the front, did not put the entire knee pad sleeve around my leg, they stayed in place fantastic!)

Can see the impressions of them here.
I wore kneepads under my catching shin guards also, helped with fitment and cushion. While batting helped protect from being hit by pitches, helped during diving and sliding.

Screenshot_20220701-142635_Chrome.jpg
If I played infield at one of the bases would wear soccer shin guards because steel Cuts flesh. No need to sustain an injury that might take you out of the game. Helps to stay in the game.

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD is a pitcher. She has taken some hard shots off her body. Specifically, the lower legs are difficult to protect when the glove is high and the ball is hit low finishing a pitch. She wears a heart guard, padded sliders, and a lower shin pad. And also a female cup after taking a line drive. And of course, a mask.

May 13, 2021
My DD is a pitcher. She has taken some hard shots off her body. Specifically, the lower legs are difficult to protect when the glove is high and the ball is hit low finishing a pitch. She wears a heart guard, padded sliders, and a lower shin pad. And also a female cup after taking a line drive. And of course, a mask.
What kind of shin pad does she wear?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
How about these bad boys? 1st year Summer Allstars wearing soccer cleats. We weren't quite committed to this Softball thing. Other girls wore these. Assuming it's protection when and if they slid into bases.

1657381472423.png

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I want my daughter to wear shin guards in the circle. She took a shot off the right leg in February that had it been and inch or two over, she'd have been out the whole season with a cracked shin bone. The lower legs are the hardest part of the body to defend, so I see no shame in wearing them. I just wish I could find ones that fit her enormous calves.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Not many players wearing knee pads out on the field either. I think they're exceptionally important and helped me a lot.
( put only the knee'pad' between my pants and socks in the front, did not put the entire knee pad sleeve around my leg, they stayed in place fantastic!)

Can see the impressions of them here.
I wore kneepads under my catching shin guards also, helped with fitment and cushion. While batting helped protect from being hit by pitches, helped during diving and sliding.

View attachment 26021
If I played infield at one of the bases would wear soccer shin guards because steel Cuts flesh. No need to sustain an injury that might take you out of the game. Helps to stay in the game.
I've thought about wearing neoprene sleeves on my knees after having some knee issues from catching, field hockey, and cheerleading. I'm sitting on the beach rn in Ocean City, MD in the sun but having some knee pain from where I tweaked my knee. Not sure how neoprene sleeves would work under our leg protection. Sounds like it would be a good idea, tho.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid