She FINALLY blocked

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Don't know how many dad's out there have been through the agonizing wait for the game-brain to catch up to the skillset, but I've waited all season for DD to fire a block "in anger", and it's been frustrating. She's almost 12, been working on skills from Coach Weaver's DVD for almost 2 seasons, and went to NECC last summer. Blocked flawlessly in drills, received beautifully, but just didn't pull the trigger on the dirt ball. She gloved most, lost some.

Well, she worked with a coach and older girl this week and suddenly last night, it just clicked as though she's been doing it since birth. Kept about 3 runs off the board, I saw the most gratifying Mr. Bill face on the runner at 3rd, just a great milestone.

Then she just killed my by coming off and saying "I blocked for Coach Dave."

Nov 18, 2009
Don't know how many dad's out there have been through the agonizing wait for the game-brain to catch up to the skillset, but I've waited all season for DD to fire a block "in anger", and it's been frustrating. She's almost 12, been working on skills from Coach Weaver's DVD for almost 2 seasons, and went to NECC last summer. Blocked flawlessly in drills, received beautifully, but just didn't pull the trigger on the dirt ball. She gloved most, lost some.

Well, she worked with a coach and older girl this week and suddenly last night, it just clicked as though she's been doing it since birth. Kept about 3 runs off the board, I saw the most gratifying Mr. Bill face on the runner at 3rd, just a great milestone.

Then she just killed my by coming off and saying "I blocked for Coach Dave."

I have lived this one too. It took my daughter until she was 13 to start blocking consistently. good to see her hard work is about to start paying off.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Taking the tattoos of some red stitching in the forearm throughout the game when necessary becomes a catchers greatest feeling.....overcoming the pain and understanding the sacrifice she makes for the team is a great milestone!!! AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Love to hear that all her hard work is starting to pay off. That first time will give her plenty of confidence so she will continue to do it. It is great when the runner on third starts down the line on a "passed ball" only to realize that the catcher blocked the ball. And it gives the pitcher more confidence so she can pitch better. Good for her and God bless Coach Dave.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Taking the tattoos of some red stitching in the forearm throughout the game when necessary becomes a catchers greatest feeling.....overcoming the pain and understanding the sacrifice she makes for the team is a great milestone!!! AWESOME!!!

My DD says lace marks are sexy. I did feel bad for her though when she put on her pretty Easter dress and her arms and legs were a mass of bruises in various stages of healing. LOL! All in the day of a life of fastpitch softball catcher!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Taking the tattoos of some red stitching in the forearm throughout the game when necessary becomes a catchers greatest feeling
Short sleeves the next day, it's in the code.

And it gives the pitcher more confidence so she can pitch better.
It's the opposite of catch22 (catcher22? ;) ), the pitcher that isn't afraid of throwing a ball in the dirt will throw less balls in the dirt.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
It's the opposite of catch22 (catcher22? ;) ), the pitcher that isn't afraid of throwing a ball in the dirt will throw less balls in the dirt.

With a catcher that can block on a regular basis, the pitcher becomes more confident and relaxed and just throws the ball. Sometimes they are afraid of throwing the ball in the dirt and start aiming the ball and getting all the mechanics wrong, especially at younger ages. And as you said, they throw less balls in the dirt or even "sky" balls.

Catcher22 thanks for a good laugh!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish