Shaved Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I was at a Showcase this weekend and there was one team that was just crushing the ball. I saw three balls hit over the fence in two games. Now this is a very very good team, and I wasnt suprised with their power. This is a first year 14U team. This team all had new bats (Makos etc.) but chose to use older bats (Synergy etc) I was standing watching my DD's game, and all the team they were playing kept saying is those bats are shaved. Why are they using the older bats. A dad told me that in Showcases they dont check the bats so teams may be using fixed bats. Is this all just parents rumbling, or are their people out there really fixing their kids bats trying to get a competitive edge while scouts are looking?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Most college coaches are not that concerned with how far the ball was hit. They are more about how the ball was hit. An ugly swing with a hot bat will not get you anywhere. If you have a great swing and know how to hit, you do not need a shaved bat to get an epic dinger and get schools to notice your skills.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Was the bats aluminum? Can't shave composite bats. Aluminum bats can be shaved but why, if you can use a composite bats.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know nothing about showcase tournament but I would not be happy at all if I found out my DD was on the field and they were using shaved bats. I cannot believe that they would be allowed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Composites can also be shaved although not as easily as the old alloys. It is not an issue of them being allowed. They are not. The typical protocol in showcase events is that umpires do not check equipment before each game. Even if they do it is very easy to leave a bat in the bag and then pull it out prior to the first trip to the plate.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I have seen a lot of advertisements (craigslist, ebay, etc.) for rolling composite bats but I have never heard of them being shaved.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have seen a lot of advertisements (craigslist, ebay, etc.) for rolling composite bats but I have never heard of them being shaved.

Shaving is more common with slow pitch as middle age guys with beer bellies seek to relive their glory days. Depending on who you ask and which way the wind is blowing you may be told that rolling is not legal. I personally have no dog in the rolling fight since my DD dies not hit. But no matter how you slice it, shaving a bat is not legal. But even so the alphabets are not that serious about enforcement.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
Now this is a very very good team, and I wasnt suprised with their power. This is a first year 14U team. This team all had new bats (Makos etc.) but chose to use older bats (Synergy etc)

If this is a very very good team as you describe, it is likely that they are well coached and that they have done their homework with regards to bats. The hottest of this year's bats are just that...the hottest of the current year bats. The team in question probably shopped and stocked up on the top bats on the "all-time" list instead of the "this year" list. It is funny that another team would think they were juiced if that was just speculation. The new bats in the bag are likely a reflection that they play a little u-trip on occasion.

Now, if they were in fact shaved, then hang 'em high in the town square, but as you described the team it sounds like this is more likely a case of being well schooled/well tooled, not cheating.

Feb 14, 2010
Rolling bats is the equivalent of shaving. By rolling a composite bat you are creating a HUGE sweet spot versus the normal sweet spot created by breaking a bat in the cages or games. It's becoming more prevalent in fastpitich due to the pressure from parents for their kids to get a scholarship. It's a complete disgrace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45