Shaved Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
I presume you performed a barrel compression test (BCT), which bats can fail without exceeding the performance standard (i.e. false positive). What kind of readings did you get on the Xenos?
False positive reads..do you mean the nonlinear and linear compression readings?
A false positive on the BCT is testing below the PSI cutoff even though the bat complies with the performance standard. That's why NCAA doesn't assess a strike until a bat fails lab testing. Non-linear bats were routinely generating false positives until they recognized it and created a different PSI cutoff for each one.

Xenos are a non-linear bat and have a lower cutoff. Do you think they got it right?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Sent you a PM SCD to chat. I probably completely went off topic from the original post and killed this thing like most threads that bring up a sensitive topic like bat altering.
I don't wanna be blamed anymore :)

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Core,

I'm gonna dumb this down for you with an analogy for you. Murder is still murder whether it's with a knife or gun and CHEATING is still CHEATING. YA a gun will produce faster results than a knife but they both are still murder

I think a better analogy would be rolling a bat is like going 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone, while shaving a bat is like doing 120 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. Both are considered speeding, but are they really the same? And since you are so passionate about CHEATING, I would like to know if you are watching pitchers for crow hopping, leaping, and replants? They are all illegal and would be considered CHEATING if a pitcher knows she is doing it, but continues doing it.

Feb 14, 2010
JAD,

The rules are the rules plain and simple. It blows my mind that people are always looking for a new way to circumvent them. The reason why I'm so passionate as you say about this topic is because I played slow pitch at w high level and I've seen what an altered bat will do to a human face, it's not pretty.

As for fast pitch these ladies are damn impressive to watch hit nowadays and it's also very dangerous for the pitchers and corner infielders nowadays so why anyone would feel the need to alter equipment and risk hurting/killing someone else is beyond me. So I don't take this issue lightly.

I had a ton of fun traveling and playing slow pitch but the game got ruined by juiced up players and cheaters. There was a common saying " spin the dummy", which meant hit it back at the pitcher, when I played and I always thought that was chicken $&$@ also. It's all fun and games till you watch somebody being hauled off in an ambulance with their face shattered or worse.

Mar 26, 2013
I don't recall any FP travel ball events that did barrel compression testing (BCT) on the bats. Does anyone know of a FP event - other than NCAA - that does it?

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
JAD,

The rules are the rules plain and simple. It blows my mind that people are always looking for a new way to circumvent them. The reason why I'm so passionate as you say about this topic is because I played slow pitch at w high level and I've seen what an altered bat will do to a human face, it's not pretty.

As for fast pitch these ladies are damn impressive to watch hit nowadays and it's also very dangerous for the pitchers and corner infielders nowadays so why anyone would feel the need to alter equipment and risk hurting/killing someone else is beyond me. So I don't take this issue lightly.

I had a ton of fun traveling and playing slow pitch but the game got ruined by juiced up players and cheaters. There was a common saying " spin the dummy", which meant hit it back at the pitcher, when I played and I always thought that was chicken $&$@ also. It's all fun and games till you watch somebody being hauled off in an ambulance with their face shattered or worse.

Is this the time to bring up infielder's masks? I bet that would send this thread in a whole different and passionate direction! But going back to the bat issue - these kinds of alterations are unfair and downright dangerous.

Feb 12, 2014
Shaving bats is a HUGE problem in slow pitch, I hope it doesn't infest fast pitch as well

with 180, 190, 200' fences - shaving a bat is not really necessary

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Shaving bats is a HUGE problem in slow pitch, I hope it doesn't infest fast pitch as well

with 180, 190, 200' fences - shaving a bat is not really necessary

Slow pitch is played with long fences and the slower pitch speeds require the batter and bat to generate all of the power. In fast pitch, the fences are shorter and the increased pitch speed give the ball a higher exit speed - it is easier to hit a home run off a fastball vs. a change up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207