"Sharing" equipment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
Funny story about borrowing bats. One day our team is in the cage hitting, one of the girls gets in the cage with my DD's bat. I ask her why she is not using her bat, she tells me that her dad doesn't want her to use her bat in the cage. I told her that she has to use her own bat or don't hit. Some people have a lot of nerve.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
As a coach and parent, I'm really glad to see this topic come up here. I make it a point to be clear with all of my players and parents that no one is expected to share equipment, especially bats. It is a purely personal decision if they decide to let others use their equipment, but the players and parents are told that there are to be absolutely no repercussions for players who restrict sharing of their stuff. A few years ago, I started making the members of my HS team buy their own helmets. That has made life WAY easier, as everyone has a helmet that fits that they can carry in their own bag. No team helmet bag anymore. I usually buy a high end bat or two for the team bat bag per year, but I encourage the girls to get their own, with the guarantee that they can keep it as a personal bat if they choose. In rec ball, it's a bit more complicated, but parents can usually be convinced that the $20 invested in a personal helmet is a good idea. For travel ball, everyone has their own stuff, no matter what. The important thing, in my view, is to make a clear team policy about gear from practice #1, then stick to the policy.

Thanks for all of the replies! Our game was cancelled tonight b/c our Park/Rec guy "couldn't get the field together", but we are having practice out there. I am curious to see if any of the "window lickers" have bought some equipment, since it has been over a week that we have practiced! Our problem is our coaches do not seem to set limitations to anything (thus the playing around during practice).

May 5, 2009
change of heart

Used to not mind dd sharing her bat until the new girl was warming up with it and whacked a metal post with it. Since then I have seen a few "abuse" cases and have decided to keep the bat off limits to others.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We learned the hard way as one of our players threw my dd's bat in a fit of anger when playing 12u. That was it. Once I stopped screaming, no one wanted to use her equipment anymore. Of course, at that time, it was a measly $200 bat that was chipped up by the concrete dugout. Now, $200 can be a down payment. :( We don't share anything but there does come a time when it seems that everyone gets their own equipment.

I think it is rude of any coach to suggest that it is your responsibility to supply other players with equipment. If he so desires, have him buck up for a good bat. JMHO!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I had a player last weekend that needs a new bat, so I asked another player if she could try her bat. No problem.

She hit a single, double and triple in that game. Bat owners father told the other father he was going to charge $10 for each hit for the weekend! :D

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Used to not mind dd sharing her bat until the new girl was warming up with it and whacked a metal post with it. Since then I have seen a few "abuse" cases and have decided to keep the bat off limits to others.

Ha new girl....my own dd did that last week! With her own new Combat! I told her it is going to be fun for everyone to see her finish the season with the pink walmart girl power bat that is sitting in the garage.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Thanks for all of the replies! Our game was cancelled tonight b/c our Park/Rec guy "couldn't get the field together", but we are having practice out there. I am curious to see if any of the "window lickers" have bought some equipment, since it has been over a week that we have practiced! Our problem is our coaches do not seem to set limitations to anything (thus the playing around during practice).

It sounds like you have way more problems with your DD's team than kids sharing her equipment.
Maybe you should find a new team.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
It seems I'm in the minority on this one. Whether it has been travel ball or HS ball my daughter, and the other players, have always shared. Perhaps your high schools are different from ours but the girls share the batting helmets there, as well.

I don't see sharing equipment as an issue whatsoever. If you hit better with so-and-so's bat then use it. It is not uncommon to select a bat from the ones in the dugout based on the pitcher being faced. If my DD's bat breaks when someone else uses it, so what? It would have broken anyway. My DD has 2 pricey bats (Stealth and Synergy) that are available to everyone. And we are not wealthy by any means.

I'll save my anger and frustrations for more important things.

Ed

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ed, I used to feel the same way - and I share everything. I loaned out my catching equipment and the pitching machine, recently.

But, helmets are like sharing a hairbrush with 25 people. I just don't do it, anymore. I don't share my water bottle, either. (Which I used to do.) There is no warning sign to head lice. It is no picnic. If there is a Mrs. Ed, it would probably be her responsibility to treat DD's head and sterilize the clothes and bedclothes. She would probably bop you.

DD's HS requires them to purchase the uniform helmet, for $40.00. It is customized.

Each player needs a bat and helmet of their own. How else are they practicing at home?

I just have run in to SO many moochers lately, that my attitude is changing.

People can earn money and outfit their DD. They can have a rummage sale or something.

I also get riled up when it seems that "dad" is furnishing #1 son with great equipment and his DD gets the hand me downs. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13