Sensitive subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Catchers are in a unique position to get hit on the pelvic bone. Last year, our catcher took a bad hop to the pelvic bone that dropped her. She finished the game, but was really sore for several days.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Requiring some protection is a good thing, but there reaches a point when you're going out on the field like gladiators with so much equipment on. You can't protect kids from everything.

Agreed, but these little cups are small and slip into a pocket sewn into her sliding shorts, my daughter hardly notices wearing it. They aren't big and made of hard plastic like a guys cup is. My DD also wears here knee pads on her shins and a rip-it face mask when she is playing 3rd, so she can charge the ball or block a slide into base and not worry about shin or facial injuries (which she has had in the past.)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agreed, but these little cups are small and slip into a pocket sewn into her sliding shorts, my daughter hardly notices wearing it. They aren't big and made of hard plastic like a guys cup is. My DD also wears here knee pads on her shins and a rip-it face mask when she is playing 3rd, so she can charge the ball or block a slide into base and not worry about shin or facial injuries (which she has had in the past.)

Are they good fitting sliding shorts? I buy women's sliding shorts, without a pocket and the fit so much better. I'm not sure I'd be willing to wear that thing if the sliding shorts were uncomfortable. The women's are low rise, and the right length for me personally.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I don't think the chances are that great, but I have seen it. 16U rec ball, girl missed a pop fly in the sun and hit her right in the chest. I knew the girl personally and got to see the sick bruise on her breast the next day. However, she has larger than average breasts... on the average girl the ball would have hit the ground instead of hitting her.

Dec 15, 2009
i am a HUGE fan of pelvic protectors. I think it shuld be mandated that every catcher wears one. The kind i have aren't uncomfortable. It will be uncomfortable at first, but that's just you are used to it. Now i walk around and when i go to sit criss-cross i always say "oh, i forgot i had my cup in". You barely even notice its there.
WSI WNS384 Women's Softball Sliding Short with Pelvic Protector - SportsAuthority.com
I think it's just not worth taking the chance of possibly seriously injuring yourself there. and as for the turtle shell bras, i've never heard of them but i will have to check them out.

Jun 13, 2010
i am a HUGE fan of pelvic protectors. I think it shuld be mandated that every catcher wears one. The kind i have aren't uncomfortable. It will be uncomfortable at first, but that's just you are used to it. Now i walk around and when i go to sit criss-cross i always say "oh, i forgot i had my cup in". You barely even notice its there.
WSI WNS384 Women's Softball Sliding Short with Pelvic Protector - SportsAuthority.com
I think it's just not worth taking the chance of possibly seriously injuring yourself there. and as for the turtle shell bras, i've never heard of them but i will have to check them out.

I believe the term "Turtle shell" is what one company calls them there may be others. Another pelvic protector girls can wear are the ones worn by martial arts fighters. There is also one called "THE JILL". It goes on like underwear , is about the same size but is not hard but made of a closed cell absorbing foam.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Are they good fitting sliding shorts? I buy women's sliding shorts, without a pocket and the fit so much better. I'm not sure I'd be willing to wear that thing if the sliding shorts were uncomfortable. The women's are low rise, and the right length for me personally.

Amanda, these are the shorts she wears: Gym E Jaynes Sliding Shorts

She has 3 pairs of these, and one pair of eastons, which has a pocket in the front, she just moves the pelvic protector over to the eastons when she wears them. M

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My DD got the pelvic protector for hockey- but I hadn't heard about it for catchers too. (makes sense!)
She's also a catcher.

we'll have to check her sliding shorts for that extra pocket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck