Sensitive subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
A couple of years ago I had a catcher that was really great, She stopped the ball well moved like a cat, And had an absoloute rocket of an arm.
Then one day at an away game it all stopped. Just like that she was not herself, She was not even as good as some much lesser players. She had lost her "fire" so to speak. I asked her about it she said "just girl stuff Coach". Hearing that I left it alone.

Then one day one of her best freinds said she needed to ask me somthing. When I asked her about it she said " Well I know my play has been down latley, do you remember that game 3 games back ?" I said yes . she said "well I got hit real hard in that game and I feel stupid asking this but
Can girls wear a cup like guys do?" She said she was still sore and was holding back.

I got with her mom and she got a pair of shock doctor catchers/sliding pants with a pelvic plate

BANG I had my catcher back. she now plays at small college and still wears them.

This ever happen to any one else?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, I have never known a female to get hurt there. I am not saying that it can't happen, but personally I have never seen a girl injured there.

I have played with some pretty tough ladies in my day.

Even in roller derby they don't need a cup. But, if this catcher needs one, OK. I certainly wouldn't care.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
There is someone who posts occasionally on this board who is a big fan of pelvic protectors. I don't know anyone who uses one, but I do know some girls who have gotten some wicked bruises from getting hit there.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have a story about pelvic protectors. When I got our organization to start the girls program it had so many detractors that would do anything to destroy the program they required the girls to wear them. It didn't stop the program.

Sep 3, 2009
My dd took had a foul once, that bounced down and then back up. She finished the inning, and came in with tears. We did find her a set of those pants and she wears them.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Is that a coach rule or a league rule? Very interesting.

You know, I'm not sure. She has had to wear one since she played 10U. I'll have to ask. Everyone of her coaches has had this rule, and reminds the girls once in a while. My daughter doesn't go to a game/practice without it. It has become second nature for the girls now.

I am all for giving the kids as much protection as needed. Even at playing elite level, it is still recreation. I hate the thought of a player suffering an injury that stays with them long after their playing days are over.

Jun 13, 2010
You know, I'm not sure. She has had to wear one since she played 10U. I'll have to ask. Everyone of her coaches has had this rule, and reminds the girls once in a while. My daughter doesn't go to a game/practice without it. It has become second nature for the girls now.

I am all for giving the kids as much protection as needed. Even at playing elite level, it is still recreation. I hate the thought of a player suffering an injury that stays with them long after their playing days are over.

I certainly would noyt require them but I guess no harm no foul.
I acually talked this over with a team mom who is a nurse she said she thinks all the girls should wear the bras with the inserts called "turtle Shells''. she said a hard hit to the breast can cause lifelong problems. but Protection is what it is.A choice.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have never heard of a turtle shell bra insert thing. I'll have to look it up.

Requiring some protection is a good thing, but there reaches a point when you're going out on the field like gladiators with so much equipment on. You can't protect kids from everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck