Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD's team's pitchers (both 12 YO) walked 24 batters in 4 pool games (14 innings total) last weekend. If by variety you mean them learning to throw with the opposite hand then I am all for it.. 😫
What the heck kinda team are you on? No wonder you go to the outfield! Vomit on the lawn...
Just teasing, everyone has a learning process...

All that work your dd puts into hitting,
How much time do your pitchers put in?
I will start a thread pertaining to your teams pitchers delema!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
What the heck kinda team are you on? No wonder you go to the outfield! Vomit on the lawn...

All that work your dd puts into hitting,
How much time do your pitchers put in?
I will start a thread pertaining to your teams pitchers delema!
I have no idea how much work they put in. They are inconsistent during games. One of the kids who walked 12 in two games in pool, struck out 10 and only walked 2 and gave up 2 hits in 4 innings in bracket. Of course they lost that game too because a) they cannot hit and b) cannot field bunts.....I think she works but I am not sure how good her pitching instruction is. The other kid I don't think works that hard..and her attitude sucks on the mound. I honestly don't know if she actually likes to pitch..The teams we played in pool couldn't hit (even with all those walks I think the pitchers only gave up like 10 runs in 4 games)..unfortunately neither can we.

If I was going to start a team I would take the 1st kid with me in a second..she has a ton of talent (sits mid 50's and hits upper 50's sometimes) she just needs to figure out how to locate her fastball. The second kid, who is pretty good athlete, I would take but would ask her if she really wants to pitch and if not I would say you are now strictly an OF and lets get to work on that.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" (sits mid 50's and hits upper 50's sometimes) "
At first year 12u, against an average team, she could throw all fastballs down the middle and be effective. Probably only 1 or 2 hitters in the line up to even bother with location. But if she tries that approach at 14u or even a top 12u team she will experience skyrockets in flight.
So IMO speed in important but location and change of speed becomes vital.

Jun 8, 2016
At first year 12u, against an average team, she could throw all fastballs down the middle and be effective. Probably only 1 or 2 hitters in the line up to even bother with location.
They are (now) second year 12U. Knowing who was in the tournament, I told one of the ACs this exact thing before the tournament but I have no idea what dufus dog HC was calling. Since he likes to tell the girls they are playing "big girl softball" now ( a 12 YO me would have probably told him that he needs to start coaching/teaching accordingly), I am sure he was calling for every pitch to be in the river...

The teams they played last weekend were a mix of 1st years 12's and for around here, average (at best) second year 12's. Against good second year 12's it is a mixed bag. She either a) has no control and walks the house, b)can throw a strike but cannot locate her fastball or changeup or c) locates both her fastball and CU in which case she is tough. She held a good Bandits in check for 3 innings when she was on but then a flare hit turned her into option a and the floodgates opened up.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
At first year 12u, against an average team, she could throw all fastballs down the middle and be effective. Probably only 1 or 2 hitters in the line up to even bother with location. But if she tries that approach at 14u or even a top 12u team she will experience skyrockets in flight.
So IMO speed in important but location and change of speed becomes vital.
If you have time check out the 1st (top) inning of the game below. All she had to do was throw it near the strike zone...I don't know much about pitching but her mechanics are not very good it seems to me..She supposedly goes to Kenny Gajewski's GF for pitching lessons..she might be better off going to whoever Kenny's Gayewski's player's have for a PC.. :LOL:

Feb 15, 2017
I know nothing about softball pitching (and probably nothing about hitting... ) but even if learning other pitches doesn't make learning to control the fastball more difficult from a mechanics perspective, what it does do is cut the number of fastball reps down unless you increase the number of practice pitches alltogether. It is the same sort of argument some use against having kids learn to switch hit in baseball (albeit the advantage of switch hitting is not nearly as much as a pitcher having multiple pitches which they can get hitters out with..).
Pattar, that is very true! There's only so much time to spend pitching.

Also if you don't learn basic IR mechanics and learn spin you'll struggle with whatever other pitches you think you may learn.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619