Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
This logic doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I know dozens of HS baseball pitchers that did not have great fastballs, but they got their outs with great curves, splitters, changeups, sliders, etc.
What college team are these great high school pitchers playing for?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just a thought?

Early recruitment MAY HAVE contributed to pitchers pushing for more pitches.

At 14 throwing only a fastball and change up could have went un-noticed...compaired to the pitcher with those and 2 other pitches in command.

Really the better hitting training
And technology in bats
And flighty yellow ball
Create the pressure of REALITY
for pitchers to GROW locations and spins.

Jun 8, 2016
ha, yet somehow he was able to learn other grips and still throw 90. :)
The point was you said there were kids with less than good fastballs who were getting kids out with other pitches...90 in HS is not a "less than good" fastball. What you said will work with "less than good" hitters.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The point was you said there were kids with less than good fastballs who were getting kids out...90 in HS is not a "less than good" fastball...

Most of his teammates were throwing 80-83, and most had a good/great curve/slider, etc. They would not have gotten anyone out in our region without it.

PS - great comments from all. Talking ball is fun.

Jun 8, 2016
Most of his teammates were throwing 80-83, and most had a good/great curve/slider, etc. They would not have gotten anyone out in our region without it.
and again how did they do in college with a low 80's fastball? I guess if the goal is to train kids to get average hitters out then not mastering fastball location/speed will work..depends on the goal I guess. Also I am mainly talking about location rather than speed...speed ceiling, after mechanics are mastered, is a genetic thing. If those kids had good command of their fastball then they could probably get D2/mid-level D1 hitters out if their other stuff was good.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Just trying to get people to think outside of typical baseball/fastpitch slogans, ideas, drills, etc.. Based on my limited experience over 30 years, much of what you hear in baseball/fastpitch is backwards or destructive. I found this to be true in hitting and pitching.

Always question the 'conventional wisdom'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812