screw balls in world series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't think you understand the description but I'll let Screwball explain. Since his name is Screwball and he posted the description. BTW, Screwball, I understand fully.

Tojo. Explain to me which way the ball is spinning, because unless you opening a door knob on the ceiling, I see the ball spinning top to bottom 12 oclock 3 oclock 6 oclock 9oclock and that will curve no where. A screw ball spins back to front.

Screw Ball in fastpitch softball

Jan 27, 2010
Tojo. Explain to me which way the ball is spinning, because unless you opening a door knob on the ceiling, I see the ball spinning top to bottom 12 oclock 3 oclock 6 oclock 9oclock and that will curve no where. A screw ball spins back to front.

Screw Ball in fastpitch softball
I really should let Screwball reply, because he gave a good description,IMO. If you turn the door knob clockwise on the ceiling, you would have a curveball spin. The door is on the floor.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
First of all, how many of you screwball experts ever pitched against hitters that can hit? I am a college coach and I have yet to see a "screwball". I have seen pitchers, some of whom are pretty well known, step left and throw right (rhp to rh batter) with a spin that would suggest the ball should go left (fights the angle of the pitch). These pitches are angle pitches that end up inside on the right handed hitter, nothing else. Cat Osterman doesn't throw one, Tincher doesn't throw one nor does Abbott. The pitch is essentially a slightly slower version of a fastball. If you have to step to the left to get the pitch to go to the right you are losing mechanical efficiency. Also, if you think that giving up 5 runs is a good game in highly competitive fastpitch softball than you must be watching Division 3 a lot. Just go back a year or two, games that we saw this year didn't exist or if they did, they were extremely rare.

First of all mine is a LHP, screw breaks away from RHB. But if you use correct spin and launch my DD will throw the screw 2-3 MPH faster than her best FB. It is a push pitch in fastpitch. The best screw is a 10 to 5 spin, it screws and drops at the last moment. Like turning a door knob, right before the lock passes the frame for entry. ( for a lefty )

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Goingdeep, I agree with on the screw being faster than the FB.The screwball or the rise usually ends up being the fastest pitch for the majority of pitchers. And the screwball does break.

Dec 30, 2009
To pitch at the highest level a Fastpitch Pitcher needs to be throwing strikes primarily with pitches that are moving mostly up ( rise ) or down ( drop ) with a change to be successful as demonstrated by Tincher and Osterman and most of the great Men Fastpitch pitchers from my era!! If we threw something flat over the plate it would get killed! I'm appalled in general by how flat so many pitches are being thrown of which the curve and screwball are examples. Few pitchers are being taught how to make their pitches finish with authority vertically. To do this the spin axis needs to be cross ways to home plate and the release posture conducive to maximizing lift on the ball for spin speed and to create the most effective trajectory ( release angle of the ball ) which is different for a rise and a drop. Too many pitches are being thrown today with the spin axis too close to the direction of the pitch as evidenced by so many hard hit balls.
Home plate has become a launching pad at the College World Series. What is a fastball in Fastpitch? Too often a line drive !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse