Botched Call ? Cal Baptist - UNC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Love, love, love the parents on the teams my DDs play for.

However, they will always argue on the side of our team. They'll be yelling "She was safe!!!" when she was out by two steps if it's our team who was at bat. I won't say it's embarassing, but it's bordering on it.

And on the more obscure rules, many of them make up the rule definition on the fly that best suits our team. It's really quite crazy. I've wanted to ask "How do you know?". Guess it's just like discussing politics on twitter. Everyone is an expert on everything.
I feel your pain. There could be a whole topic on this. We had parents who would yell run on D3K when 1st was occupied time and time again. If we missed an IF popup they would yell infield fly rule (when it wasn't the right situation). The worst was a group of parent that would stand down the line and yell "miss it" on fly balls. This was 14U TB not rec. We at least put a stop the last thing quickly.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...They'll be yelling "She was safe!!!" when she was out by two steps...
Pet peeve of mine is the 1st base coach that always has to do the over-exaggerated "SAFE!" whenever there is a close play at 1st even if they're out by two steps. Just once I'd like to see a field ump give the big arm circle "go" signal to a runner on a base hit and get her out on a throw to 2nd. "Well coach, you're trying to do my job poorly, so I'll do yours poorly."

Aug 25, 2019
Watching the Cal Baptist v North Carolina game in Peurto Vallarta... just wanted to confirm that there does not need to be contact for interference?

The batted ball was hit at the second baseman. The second baseman charged the batted ball. The runner going from first to second interfered with the play but no contact was created. The umpires huddled and deemed there was no issue. The official score keeper gave an error to the second baseman.

I know this topic has been discussed heavily on this board... suprised the call was what it was.
I've made this call for interference a few times. The coach always comes out to argue there was no contact, I like to use one of my favorite softball terms, straight out of the rule book, that the fielder was "hindered" from making the play. More than one coach asked me what that meant.

May 29, 2015
I've made this call for interference a few times. The coach always comes out to argue there was no contact, I like to use one of my favorite softball terms, straight out of the rule book, that the fielder was "hindered" from making the play. More than one coach asked me what that meant.

Coach, when you don't open the rule book, it hinders your ability to understand the rules.

You haven't made contact with your rule book, which impedes your ability to make this argument.

The fact that the book hasn't come out of the bottom of your bucket-chair is obstructing your understanding.

You are obviously confused.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Pet peeve of mine is the 1st base coach that always has to do the over-exaggerated "SAFE!" whenever there is a close play at 1st even if they're out by two steps. Just once I'd like to see a field ump give the big arm circle "go" signal to a runner on a base hit and get her out on a throw to 2nd. "Well coach, you're trying to do my job poorly, so I'll do yours poorly."

One facility around these parts makes this a point of emphasis. They instruct umpires to eject coaches who do this.

A bit heavy-handed, IMO, but it shuts down the stupidity.

Unfortunately we live in a tribal era. We cannot accept the success of "the other team" and this is what is ruining children's games.

Oct 4, 2018
One facility around these parts makes this a point of emphasis. They instruct umpires to eject coaches who do this.

Unfortunately we live in a tribal era. We cannot accept the success of "the other team" and this is what is ruining children's games.

So true. :(

Aug 1, 2019
MN

A little side conversation with the coach that this will not be tolerated seems like a first good step, but when the coach continues and it gets to the point of ejection, what would be the reasoning behind it? Unsportsmanlike behavior?

May 29, 2015
A little side conversation with the coach that this will not be tolerated seems like a first good step, but when the coach continues and it gets to the point of ejection, what would be the reasoning behind it? Unsportsmanlike behavior?

It is something we are instructed to cover in the pre-game meeting.

The reasoning we are given is that the facility directors (a large community-based program backed by the park district who owns the facilities) feel this is behavior that is only aimed at showing up the umpires and riling up the crowd. It has nothing to do with coaching your players, so why are you doing it? The facility tried it, believed problems went down, and stuck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi